Winter - Part 4

"Grace?" Harry asked again.

I quickly shut my mouth, I hadn't realized I was gawking at him again. "Hi, Harry." I greeted shyly, tucking my wavy brunette hair behind my ear.

"You know, I just wondering when I would see you again, small world." He handed the bundle of bananas to me. "How'd Mia like her gifts?"

He remembers.

"Oh, she loved them! I wish she was with me to say thank you. Seriously, thank you-" I was cut off by the sound of his phone ringing.

He held up one finger and he rummaged through his pockets. "I'm so sorry."

"It's alright." I nodded.

"Hello? You alright?" He asked once he answered the call.

I took this time to admire him. I hadn't noticed much about him the first time we met. His hair was a lighter brown than mine, and today - unlike the first time I saw him - it was pulled into a messy bun, some stray-aways tucked behind his ear. His hands were large, fitting perfectly with his lengthy frame, and he had a small cross tattoo on the skin between his index and thumb. He was wearing a black trench coat and a white shirt that was buttoned towards the bottom only - his chest exposed. He had three more tattoos on his chest area: a pair of swallows (one on each side of his chest) and a butterfly on his ab area. I became curious to how many tattoos he had in total.

"Vanessa, did we have something scheduled for tonight?" His raspy voice startled me. "That's right, we did have a dinner date. Well, why don't you go ahead and make yourself comfortable at my place. There's a key under the mat, see you in a bit babe."

I waited until his phone was back in his pocket before I spoke. "Another 'friend'?"

"Excuse me?" His eyes were on me.

"That conversation sounded exactly like the one you had the day we met. I'm guessing that was another 'friend' of yours?"

His eyes narrowed. "Yes, I guess you could say that."

"Seems like you have a lot of friends." I mumbled placing the bananas into my cart.

"What's it to you?" Harry's voice was icy.

"Nothing, just observing." I shrugged.

"Sounds more like judging to me. Listen, if I wanted your opinion I would've asked, alright?"

I stepped back. "I'm sorry."

"Whatever." Harry picked up the closest bundle of bananas and stomped quickly out of the aisle.

"Jerk." I whispered.

I immediately regretted saying anything. This wasn't the first time I had been called judgmental; it was probably the same reason I didn't have friends now.

**
"MOMMA!" Mia exclaimed in excitement once I walked through the door.

I swooped her up into my arms. "Hey baby!"

Ms. Erica came over to us with Mia's backpack and snacks in hand. "She was perfect today as always. See you tomorrow." She placed a quick kiss on Mia's forehead. Mia slid off of me and took her things from Erica's hands.

"Thanks again for keeping her. You're a lifesaver, as usual." I waved before taking Mia's hand and walking out of the door. The cold air smacked us in the face, causing Mia to hide behind my legs. "Come on, Lovey. We have a train to catch."

We made it home about in about 45 minutes. I gave Mia a bath and made her a quick meal before sending her to bed.

"Momma..." Mia smiled with excitement after I tucked her into bed.

"Yes?"

"Ms. Erica said she can come to my r-recital on Wednesday. Can you please bring my ballet doll when you come? I want her to watch it too!"

I shut my eyes as soon as I remembered Mia's ballet recital. Her recitals were always held at 12 o'clock on weekdays and usually I would sneak out on my lunch break to see Mia. But my boss had been on my case so much lately that anything I did at this point could get me fired.

"Sure baby, I can bring your doll. Get some rest now." I kissed her forehead before heading to my room. As I laid my head on my pillow, I shut my eyes against the thoughts that were trying to take over me. Would supporting my baby girl mean that I would lose my job?

**
I woke up the next morning with the same fear. But instead of running from my boss, I was going to tell him the truth firsthand. Once I arrived at work, I walked straight into his office and knocked the door.

"Mr. Watson?" My voice immediately became quieter.

"Oh, it's you Grace." His disappointment showed all over his face, "what is it?"

I sat down. "Well, my daughter is having a recital tomorrow around my lunch break. I was wondering if it would be okay for me to take a longer lunch? I would be back right after the recital." I held my breath awaiting his answer.

Watson looked up at me, his face had morphed into a disgusted look. "Grace, who is more important to you? This company or your daughter?"

"My daughter, sir." That was a no-brainer.

He smiled and nodded at me. "Well then, pack your things. You're fired."

"W-what?" My eyes instantly began to fill with tears.

"You're fired! It's either all or nothing in this job, and you've given me nothing, Grace! So go on, you're now free to be with your daughter 24/7."

"Mr. Watson, please don't do this! This job is all that I have! I had to take care of my daughter, she's only three." My was sobbing at this point. The dark days that seemed so distant were now all that I could see.

"That's not my concern, Grace. You are of no use to me anymore. We both knew this day would come, now go get your things. We'll have someone to escort you out."

**

Hello my loves! I hope you guys are enjoying the story. I'm sorry it's been so long since I've updated, but I finally have more time to write again. There's a lot to come in the next chapter so stay tuned.

All love,

x