Winter - Part 7

Grace's POV

It had been ages since I had been asked out.

I spent the next morning telling myself that this was not a date. We barely knew each other after all.

The thought of seeing Harry again fought for dominance in my mind, but it could not overpower the issue at hand. I was jobless and late on my rent. I didn't know where to start when it came to job hunting; it had taken me so long just to get my last job. Yet, none of that stopped me from searching. I decided to keep Mia home from daycare to help keep me sane. We spent most of the day lounging in our pajamas - Mia playing with her toys while I fervently job searched from my laptop.

The pickings were scarce, especially for a person without a college degree. Not finishing school was one of the biggest sacrifices I made when I had Mia. I had stumbled upon Brand and was lucky enough to be hired but now the future didn't seem so lucky.

My glum thoughts were interrupted by the sound of our doorbell. I walked over to the door hesitantly.

"Who is it?" I asked cautiously.

"It's Ms. Myers."

My heart sank.

I opened the door after I had taken a deep breath. "Hello, Ms. Myers."

"Your payment is late... again." She wasn't as stern as usual. Instead, she looked a little defeated.

"I know, I'm so sorry. There's been a lot going on lately." I confessed.

"You have until Sunday, Grace. I need it by Sunday or I'll have no choice but to evict you."

"I lost my job, Ms. Myers. There's no way I can have that amount of money by the end of the week."

"I'm afraid that's all I can give you. I've given you many extensions Grace, and now other people are starting to ask for the same. I've got to make a living for myself, alright? Sunday... Or pack up your things." She stomped back down the hall. The breeze behind her felt so cold.

It felt as if everything around me was tumbling down. I was about to lose my apartment the same week I lost my job. I had no idea what the next step was. Where was I going to get this kind of money while also keeping food of the table for Mia?

"Momma?" Mia's voice was almost quiet once I made my way back to her. "Are y-you okay?"

"I will be baby." I bent down with my arms open to embrace her. She wobbled over to me and wrapped her small arms around my neck. "Everything's going to be okay."

Yet in this moment, things seemed far from okay.

**

The rest of the week was dedicated to job applications and pleading with bosses to hire me on the spot. Every one of them seems to look at me like I had two heads when I would ask. If they only knew what was going on. Every business I came across quickly sent me away - even fast food chains wanted nothing to do with me.

By Friday night, I was beginning to lose hope and more importantly beginning to run out of savings. I had tried to pay some bills off and make sure that Mia was fed. She was enthusiastic that I was letting her eat more fast food, but really that was all I could afford. It was getting harder for me to hide my anxiety from my daughter, she was beginning to ask what was wrong every hour until she went to sleep. That night, at bed time, was the worst of it - she asked, and I cried.

"Don't cry, Mama." She patted my hand. Her genuine frown made me feel even worse.

"I'm sorry, Lovey. Mommy is just a little stressed out at the moment, but everything is going to be fine." I was trying to convince myself again.

I cuddled up to Mia until she fell fast asleep; my eyes wandered around her room - finding things I hadn't notice before. Her room was small, yes, but it fit her perfectly. The lavender walls, the small kids desk, and her small bin on toys. She loved her room so much and spent most of her time in there. My heart ached at the thought of her not being able to come back to this room. I left her room - tears streaming down my face. I was about to break down when my phone began to ring.

"Hello?" My voice croaked.

"Are you all right, love?" Harry's voice resonated with worry.

I sniffled. "Yeah, I'm fine. What's going on?"

"Oh, I was just wondering if we were still on for tomorrow night?"

"Oh yes, Mia is so excited to see Emily again." I tried to make my voice as light as possible.

"Emily is excited as well. Her and I are elated to see the both of you."

I could feel my cheeks heating. "What time will you pick us up?"

"How about 6:30?"

"Sounds fine."

"Good, I'll see you soon then, beautiful."

Click.

Though I was not in the mood to spend time with anyone, I knew Mia would need some time to recuperate. All of the sorrow and glumness that lingered around our home was not good for a 3 year old. I laid my head on my pillow, trying to fight off my hopeless thoughts.

"Tomorrow's a new day," I breathed, "a new beginning."

I was right about one thing, tomorrow would be the start of new beginning, but this beginning would not be one I enjoyed.

**

This was kind of a sad chapter, and I can't lie, we're gonna have some more sad chapters to come. But this story is supposed to bring light to REAL things that happen everyday. I hope you guys are enjoying it, love you all ❤️