Spring - Part 2

"I can't wear this." I frowned, allowing my fingers to trace the beads that were protruding from the dress.

"What's wrong with this one?" By Gemma's tone, I could tell she was aggravated.

It was the Friday before the ball, and I still hadn't found the proper dress. Gemma had picked out plenty for me to try on, but I didn't feel comfortable in any of them.

"It's just... too much." I shrugged. I stared at myself in the full-length mirror - trying to envision myself in this dress at the ball. Yet, not one Cinderella type scene played out in my mind.

"You've said that about every...single...dress." Gemma was now massaging her temples with her index fingers.

I turned to face her, embarrassment poking at my heart. "Maybe we should just call it a day. I shouldn't be going to that stupid thing anyway!" I reached for the zipper of the dress and began to pull it down.

"We still have one more, Grace. What do you say?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's not going to change anything."

"We'll see about that. I've been saving this dress for the very last moment. It's not like any of the other ones you've tried on. I don't even you can say something bad about it." She disappeared behind the nearby dress rack.

I examined the dress once she handed it to me. The fabric was airy, and it seemed less extravagant than the ones I had tried on previously. Slipping into the dress, I felt my stomach knot with anxiety.

But the dress did not disappoint me.

It was a taupe colored dress that cascaded down to my toes and a slit that reached high thigh. It hugged my body just enough that I wasn't left feeling self-conscious. It was held together by two skinny straps on my shoulders. It was hard to recognize myself in the dress - I instantly felt beautiful.

"You look amazing, Grace." Gemma's voice was light with optimism.

"It's beautiful," I murmured almost muted.

"Now I can see why you didn't like those other dresses, you are one of the few people on this earth that can rock simplicity." She walked over to me and reached for the clip that was holding my messy hair back. I reached to stop her, but it was too late. My hair fell onto my shoulders and added to the illusion. "The men are going to have a fit tomorrow night!"

I blushed. "I wouldn't be too sure, not with Eden there."

Gemma scoffed. "Eden? That woman could kill puppies with just a stare."

I laughed. "She does have a pretty intense presence about her."

"I don't know what Harry is thinking, to be quite frank. Of all the women to get serious with, he chooses her. Hopefully, this is a phase." Gemma shook her head.

"I wouldn't be too sure. She's been sleeping over every day this week, they're almost inseparable."

"Oh, I just can't hear anymore." She groaned before covering her ears for effect. "Let's get that dress off of you and taken to the cashier."

**

"You didn't have to do that," I said once Gemma and I was back in her car. She decided to pay for my dress in full, not allowing me to even think about paying her back.