Spring - Part 4

"So you mean to tell me, all you have to do is bring that painting to her art show and you'll have the job?" Harry asked skeptically. "That doesn't sound like Annaliese at all."

"I know! I couldn't believe what I was hearing, but I decided it would be safer to just do as she says." I sighed as I laid on our bed.

"I agree. We don't want to ruin whatever's going on in that brain of hers." He chuckled.

"I just wish I had something really impressive to wear tonight. Something to show her that I'm really serious about this."

"I might be able to help with that," Harry answered slyly before he pulled a black box tied with gold ribbon out of his closet. "I was going to surprise you with this for a special date, but right now seems like the perfect time."

"Harry, I can't believe you! You've had this dress in there the whole time?"

He only shrugged, "I'm good with surprises."

"Thank you." I pecked his cheek before opening the box. Inside was a light gold, chiffon dress.

"Now you'd better get dressed, you have an art gallery to attend."

**

The gallery was filled with people even though we managed to get there early. Gemma, Max, the kids, Harry and I all piled into Harry's car for the show. Mia was very excited that her mother's painting was going to be featured in a show. I was a celebrity - or at least that's what she kept telling Emily.

"You're shaking." Harry frowned as I looked around for Annaliese.

"Just a little nervous... the painting really isn't finished. What if she hates it?"

"She's not going to hate it, love. It's beautiful," He took my wrists in his hands and showered them with kisses. "Please, relax."

"I'm sorry..." I sighed. "I don't know why I get so nervous."

"Because you're human," Harry smirked, "and a cute one at that." Before I could take him in my arms, I noticed Annaliese's slender figure heading in our direction. This time she was dressed in a nude, form-fitting dress.

"Ms. Fordham, how are you?" I grinned, for some odd reason, I felt a strong urge to curtsy.

She rolled her eyes. "Ms. Fordham is my mother darling, please called me Annaliese. Hello, Harry. Aren't you looking as handsome as ever?" I was shocked how quickly her attitude changed when she greeted Harry.

"Hello, Annaliese. It's nice to see you again." His deep voice sent chills down my spine. His hand was on the small of my back.

I pulled the canvas from underneath my armpit and held it up for Annaliese to examine. "I did say it wasn't finished."

She clasped her hands in excitement. "It's even better than the polaroid!"

"Really?" I let out a sigh of relief.

"It's beautiful, I want it in the center of the show. Follow me, dear." Harry and I followed Annaliese through the thick crowds of people until we made it to the middle of the floor. There was an empty easel stationed in front of us. "Now, I want you to place your painting on this easel and stand by it so you can answer people's questions. Sound fair?"

I nodded. "It's no problem."

"That's what I like to here, good luck to you." With a small wave, she strutted towards her guests.

"A painting of the upper half of my body is in the center of an art show by Annaliese Fordham. I must say, this is a first." Harry joked, exposing his dimples.

"That body of yours did come in handy." I giggled allowing my hands to settle on his chest.

He shrugged as he rubbed my arms with his hands. "For multiple reasons." His lips made their way below my ear - whispering sweet nothings.

"Harry, go mingle. I have a painting to attend to," I smiled before gently pushing him away from me. Reluctantly, he caught up with Max and Gemma.

The rest of the night was filled with compliments and observations by the show goers. I heard words like "exquisite", "inspirational", and "mysterious". I was pretty surprised at the amount of positive feedback I received, but I was still eternally grateful. It felt amazing to have something that I was so passionate about be accepted in such a powerful community.

"Well, I must say," Annaliese said as she stopped at my easel again. "You're piece has been the most talked about in this show."

My heart skipped with joy. "It's all because of you Annaliese, thank you for the opportunity."

"It was my pleasure. I'll see you on Monday, 9 AM sharp."

I felt tears well up in my eyes. "You mean I've got the job?"

"That's right..." she beamed.

"Thank you so much!" I shook her hand and watched her strut away. My heart couldn't contain the joy that was overflowing. I had done it, I had finally found a job after months and months of searching. It felt like the entire weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders and I was finally able to stand upright. Nothing could bring me down from the cloud of ease that I was on.

But that's when it hit me - another ton of bricks. I spotted his sandy blonde hair, his figure towering over most of the crowd. He was wearing the same leather jacket that he always wore. His scowl was one that I tried so hard to forget over the past three years.

My heart dropped as I mouthed the word, "Jared..."

Before I could stop them, my feet raced in his direction. It was as if all sense of peace and security left the room and it was my job to get it back. I had to make sure that he didn't find Mia. Suddenly, he disappeared into the sea of people. I continued to search for him, but he was nowhere to be found.

My terrified body tumbled into a surprised Harry's arms. "Woah! What's the matter, Grace?"

"M-Mia's father. He's here." I said in a trembling voice.

**
SURPRISE! Here is an extra update to make up for the fact that you guys had to wait for so long. I hope you guys enjoy it!

I want to give you guys a visual for the two characters that were added. Annalise is played by Angelina Jolie, and Jared is played by Robert Pattinson. I hope that helps you guys visualize the characters better.

I also want to thank you guys for 21K reads! I can't believe it.

Thanks for your support loves,

Anne .x