Winter - Part 11

Grace's POV

"Grace?" Harry's word struck me like lightening.

I felt my stomach sink into my gut. "H-Harry?"

He walked towards me. "What're you doing out here?"

"I..."

"Where's Mia?"

With each question he asked, my throats closed more and more. How could I explain any of this? I had just begged him for change!

"She's-"

He stepped closer. "You're begging for money at almost ten at night. What's going on?"

"It's a little hard to explain." I warned.

"Get in the car."

"Harry-"

"Now!" He ordered.

**

Harry didn't speak once during the ride, he simply followed the directions I gave him to the homeless shelter. I assumed he must have been having some sort of gathering at his home when he called a friend and told them to get everyone out of his home.  Once we made it to the shelter, he told me to grab Mia - and our things- and meet him back at the car.

"You found a home?" Teresa's voice was filled with hope.

"I wouldn't say that. I haven't known him very long, but he might be able to get me back on my feet. I have to try." I was up for anything at the moment. I knew Harry couldn't be happy about my abrupt disappearance, and I didn't think of myself highly enough to believe that he had waited around. If there was any ounce of kindness left in his heart - maybe he could help.

"H-Harry!" Mia beamed when she saw him standing outside of his car. His face went from extremely cross to full of life when he saw her. He bent down and gave her a tight squeeze. "Are we staying with you?" She asked.

"Yes, you are." Harry's eyes met mine, though they were not as friendly as they were with Mia. He pulled out Emily's carseat, assembled it, and helped Mia in. I went around to the passenger side and sat in silence the rest of the ride.

Mia went on and on about how big Harry's house was when we arrived. He gave her a tour and even showed her where she and I would sleep. He gave us towels, blankets and some of his shirts to sleep in. After giving Mia a bath, I tucked her into bed.

"I love my bed, Mama." She snuggled into her blanket.

"I know you do, honey. It's nice to have one again, isn't it?" I smiled.

"Oh, yes. Can this be our new home?"

"I don't think so Mia, and I don't want you to ask Harry about that either. Understood?" My voice became firm.

She nodded sadly.

"But we'll have a house of our own someday! A big house, and you'll have a comfy bed just like this one. I promise. Mommy just needs a little time."

"Okay, I can wait because I'm three and I'm a big girl." She informed.

"Oh, I know. My big, strong girl - thanks for always being there for me."

"You're welcome, I love you." Mia whispered, her eyes beginning to slide shut.

"I love you too. Goodnight, my Mia." I kissed her forehead and closed the door behind me as quietly as possible.