Prologue

Prologue

Third Person P.O.V.

          Elena was asleep in the bed. Her body screaming for her to wake up. She was dreaming. Of something she never wanted to dream of.

          Damon sat in front of her, his hands on her small stomach. She saw something in his eyes. She knew it wasn't a tear. What shocked her was the anger. The anger in his eyes made her pause. She watched him as he stood.

          Elena's body twisted as her nine months pregnant body hated the dream.

          "This isn't possible. We're vampires." He said as he walked to the window, a hand running through his hair.

          She looked confused as she held her hand to her stomach. "Damon, just let me explain!" She tried to grab at his hand but he pulled it away.

          An earth shattering scream left Elena's lips.

          "No! Just go! Get out! You... This... It isn't... Possible! If you were smart, you'd just get rid of it!" Damon disappeared from the room. She tried to listen for his movement or even breathing.

          She heard nothing. She stood in the room, a hand over her stomach. Her eyes fell to the floor and tears welled up in them. Elena let out a shuddering sob.

          "Elena! Wake up!" A shaking motion woke her from her sleep. Her eyes were wide and scared. She looked up to the blonde's face who she had come to know as a sister.

          "What? What's going on?" Elena asked as she sat up. She felt the wetness between her legs.

          "You're water broke." Rebekah told her in a quiet but excited voice.

*****

          A final scream left Elena's lips as she pushed. A compelled nurse smiled and let out an 'aww' as she lifted a little girl into the air.

          Rebekah stood behind Elena, careful not to hurt her. She cooed at the baby as the nurse quickly cut the cord.

          The nurse wrapped the little child into a blanket, the small thing screaming as she was handed to her mother.

          The makeshift hospital room was filled with laughter and cries as the young mother held her daughter.

          The small thing opened her eyes and looked up to Elena, jet black hair and caramel eyes.

          "Serena." Elena whispered as she pushed the small tuffs of black hair back.

          From that point on, Elena let go of her past. No more past. No more thinking of the future.

          Her daughter was the only thing she cared about.