Picnic

We went and sat together in the field. Mother laid out a red checked picnic blanket and she conveniently had strawberry jam sandwiches ready and cut into triangles. I guess that in this world nothing takes time. We also had a vintage glass bottle of sparkling elderflower juice along with dainty glasses with a lacy pattern; fruit tarts complete with a helping of whipped cream; sugar biscuits shaped like hearts, flowers and the lot, piped with pearly icing; and a pot of piping-hot mint tea which never seemed to cool down. I hadn't had a picnic, let alone a proper meal, for as long as I can remember. The nut house only give out mashy and unappetising blobs of stuff that doesn't resemble food in any way, in fact if you gave it to someone normal who eats normal food, their first instinct would be to give it to the dog.
Mum and I talked for ages and ages. We laughed like we did in the old days, and for once, colour was back in her cheeks. Life seemed so good. We savoured the food while it lasted, but lucky for us, it reappeared the second we finished it.
The hazy sky soon darkened into a black duvet embellished with thousands of glistening stars. I lay down in the grass and mum joined me.
"Do you ever think about how we are just tiny insignificant specks on this tiny insignificant planet? Our lives don't matter," I asked.
"Yes, Isla, but as insignificant of creatures we are, we must live our lives to the fullest and make the most of our short stay here. Look around at this beautiful place."
"But mother, this is nothing but a dream!"
"That I know, but your dreams are after all reflecting the world you are living in. Where you will be when you wake up."
"So why am I not in the madhouse like I am really? That is where I am when I wake up. But I want to be with you forever, Mother. Don't let me go back".
"I'm afraid I can't do that, but you can. You must prove yourself healthy and strong".
"I will try, I promise. I love you so much, mother."
The stars faded away along with the darkness of the night and I found myself back in the hospital.