18) Stronger Together

John burst from the room and at once and fled down the corridor, swiping his coat from the waiting room and tucking it under his arm as he ran. He was angry - angry at himself, but mainly at Sherlock. Sherlock. How could his best friend of kept that from him, he was a bloody psychopath of course he had known that it was cancer. The blonde boy continued to run until his legs felt as though they were on fire. He eventually slumped against the wall, collapsing in a flood of tears, his head buried between his knees. John was just tired of it all now, why couldn't everything just work out normally? It wasn't until a few minutes later until one of the nurses found him. After a fairly long amount of talking she persuaded the blonde boy to go and visit his roommate, and, grudgingly he accepted. The nurse swiftly led John down the corridor until they reached Sherlock's room; she pushed the door open and ushered john inside quickly.
"Sherlock," John muttered bitterly, stepping inside, and watching the curly-haired boy from afar.
His roommate did nothing at first, and the room was filled with an eerie silence, only broken by the steady beeping of the machinery. It took a few moments before Sherlock slowly sat up in his bed and turned to face John, his eyes red and bloodshot.

"Oh," the skinny boy mumbled with a small frown.
Hello John..."
the blonde not rolled his eyes and grabbed the seat next to the bed, gazing at Sherlock intently.
"I'm sorry for walking out earlier," John sighed, lowering his head shamefully.
"Guess I just overreacted."
The curly-haired boy promptly shook his head as the two locked eyes.
"I was scared to tell you," Sherlock explained solemnly.
"I didn't want it to be like last time."
For a sheer moment John froze, confused by these words. He stared at the boy bewildered as a deep frown came over his face.
"What do you mean last time?"
The curly-haired boy's eyes sunk all of a sudden as he gazed at John.
"When I was seven, they found a lump..in my leg," Sherlock began slowly, watching as John listened closely.
"They found out that I had a tumour. I was obviously hospitalised, I had a few sessions of chemo...then, when I went back to school I got bullied for it and well - my parents decided to pull me out and homeschool me."

The blonde boy simply sat there and stared at Sherlock, his face crumpling. He had never known. Oh how could he have been that cruel to his roommate.
"Sherlock," John whispered in shock.
"I-I didn't realise...god I'm so sorry."
The curly-haired boy watched John with a small sigh before running his fingers through his hair and shaking his head.
"Past is past," he confirmed, biting his lip.
"It doesn't matter anymore."
The blonde boy bit his lip and leant back in his chair; listening as a nest of beds sung cheerily from a nearby tree outside, how happy their voices sounded.
"I know uh what it's like," John spoke up suddenly, his voice croaky and almost confused.
"My mum walked out on us when I was younger, me and my dad never got on that well anyway. He turned to drinking and I um...I came out as bisexual to him when I was seventeen and he hit the roof. It's safe to say that he gave me the boot."
Sherlock nodded solemnly, however his blue eyes flickered with slight interest. So John was bi.

The two boys locked eyes for a moment before they were interrupted by a nurse delivering Sherlock's measly dinner: a bowl of tomato soup with a slice of white bread. The woman gazed up at the roommates before opening her mouth and hurrying off, closing the door behind her. Sherlock hadn't realised that it was already dinner - time had gone so quickly.
"So what treatment are you getting?" John piped up, watching as the skinny boy pushed his tea aside and turned back to face him.
Sherlock stifled a yawn and sunk back in his bed.
"Chemotherapy," he announced.
"I decided I'd prefer to have a few sessions of injections."
The blonde boy gave a small nod before resting his chin in his hands.
"You'll lose your hair by the end of it?" He asked cautiously.
Sherlock raised an eyebrow and purses his lips thoughtfully for a moment.
"I suppose," he mumbled slowly.
"But there are more important matters."

John rubbed his eyes and gazed at Sherlock with wide eyes.
"Sherlock..." he began shyly.
The curly-haired boy glanced up at his roommate and nodded.
"I'm scared," John continued admittedly, his face sinking slightly.
Sherlock bit his lip and faced John.
"Here, you can sleep in here tonight with me if you'd like," he hummed, sighing slightly.
"I'm scared too."
The blonde gave a relieved nod and slipped off his shoes, resting his head on Sherlock's lap thoughtfully as he gazed up at the ceiling.
"Sherlock," John spoke up suddenly, causing the curly-haired boy to turn to him surprised.
"Look I know it's going to be hard from this point on and I might only have one shot at saying this but..."
Sherlock stared at the blonde boy, confused and also a little nervous.
"I love you, Sherlock Holmes. And I reckon I'm crazy for it."
The curly-haired boy's eyes widened slightly as butterflies filled his stomach. John had actually said it. He cleared his thrust and the two watched each-other for a minute.
"Then I must be crazy too," Sherlock mumbled in response, causing John to gasp slightly.
"Because I love you too John Watson."

••••••••••••

Please vote and comment if you enjoyed! Thanks for reading!