One Year Later

The sweet smell of pancakes wafted through the living room of 221b as sunlight began to seep through the curtains. It was a year later and John was busying himself in the kitchen preparing breakfast, whilst in the living room Sherlock was draped in his dressing gown and lounged in his armchair, a young boy sat brightly in his lap. He was short, with wild brown curls on his head and rosy cheeks, accompanied by dark brown eyes. In Sherlock's hand was a story book filled with the old, Grimm fairy tales in which the boy was listening to intently as the older man read aloud.
"Breakfast's ready you two!" John called suddenly from the kitchen, causing the toddler to jump down from his seat excitedly and race into the kitchen.
"Slow down Hamish!" Sherlock cried with an amused grin as he slowly got to his feet, closing the book gently and placing it down upon the side.
Hamish Watson-Holmes was now two years old - he was a very bright and curious boy and often took a great interest in Sherlock's experiments, and sometimes he was even allowed to help out during them. The curly-haired man stifled a yawn as he made his way into the kitchen, scooping up the young boy with one hand and taking a plate of pancakes with the other.

"Morning handsome," John hummed, giving a sheepish grin as the two leant forward for a kiss.
"Morning to you too," Sherlock replied with a small chuckle, making his way back into the living room and lifting Hamish gently down onto his armchair and handing him his breakfast.
The blonde boy came in a few seconds after Sherlock and eventually took a seat on the sofa besides him.
"So I'm seeing a publisher today about my book," John began as the curly-haired boy took a large mouthful of food.
"So I thought you and Hamish could spend the day together."
Sherlock nodded, swallowing his pancakes and glancing over at the young boy opposite them.
"I'll take him down the park to feed the ducks," he decided with a small yawn.
"So your book's finished then?"
"Uh-huh," John replied in an embarrassed tone, beginning to eat his breakfast.
"Well the first draft is anyway."
Sherlock nodded for a moment as he leant back against the sofa swiftly.
"What's it about?"
The blonde's cheeks immediately grew a deep shade of red as he bowed his head sheepishly.

"Well it's called the Adventures of Sherlock Holmes," he began quietly as Sherlock's eyes immediately lit up in curiosity.
"I wrote it when you were in hospital; I didn't know whether you'd fully recover...so I uh, I wrote about all of he adventures you might not have been able to do. I wasn't initially going to publish it, but I thought Hamish might enjoy it."
The curly-haired boy said nothing at first, he simply stared at the man in front of him in pure admiration, his blue eyes wide in amazement.
"That sounds...oh my god did you really do that for me?"
The room was filled with silence for a moment before Sherlock and John suddenly embraced in a tight hug, evidently taking Hamish by surprise. The boy stared at them both in confusion for a moment before racing over and jumping on top of them.
"Jesus Christ, Hamish!" The blonde boy groaned, picking up the small boy and placing him on his lap.
"Now daddy's going to take you to the park later how does that sound?"
The boy's face immediately broke into a wide smile as he nodded furiously, causing Sherlock to chuckle.
"Okay go pick some clothes out I'll be there to help in a second," John continued, letting Hamish go and watching as he scuttled away to his bedroom. He then got to his feet before getting stopped suddenly by Sherlock.
"One last thing John," the curly-haired boy hummed, getting to his feet and pulling John closer until the gap between their lips had been sealed.

•••••••••

"Alright Hamish do you want to feed the ducks?"
It was mid-afternoon as Sherlock and Hamish stood together in the park - the young boy dressed in a thick woollen jumper, denim shorts, and a pair of bright red wellington boots. Sherlock carefully passed over a bag of sliced bread to the boy as he lead him over to the nearby pond where a crowd of ducks were sat on the water. The young boy eagerly took a slice of bread before breaking it into pieces and throwing it in the water, watching as the ducks happily squabbled for it. Sherlock watched this for a moment, a satisfied grin on his face before he was interrupted by a phone call.
"Mycroft?" He answered with an air of confusion, holding the phone up to his face as he spoke.
"Hello brother mine," the crackly voice on the other end spoke.
"You don't normally do phone calls," the pale boy pointed out with a small frown, occasionally glancing back over at Hamish to make sure that he was okay.
"Yes well," Mycroft began.
"I have some exciting news. Gregory proposed to me this morning!"

It took Sherlock a moment to process this information. He stood stiffly on the spot with his eyes widened before eventually opening his mouth.
"Proposed? Well I guess that means congratulations."
He heard Mycroft scoff at the end of the line before ending the call and slipping his phone back in his pocket. The curly-haired boy stood there for a moment in shock before he felt someone tugging against his shirt. At once he looked down to see Hamish stood before him, watching his with wide eyes.
"Is everything okay?" The boy asked quietly, stepping back a little.
Sherlock didn't answer immediately, he just stood there.
"You know Hamish, yes, yes it is," he replied finally, picking up the young boy and lifting him onto his shoulders.
And for once, he was right. Everything was finally okay.