Chapter 5-The Sun will shine again

BACK AGAIN! I KNOW!SURPRISING! 

Warnings: Angsty, abuse mentions, + homophobia 

Eliza's POV

Maria runs to her room so fast, I barely have time to register it. I run after her, but she slams her door shut. I can hear her muttering under her breath, and dumping something out. 

I open the door slowly and watch her pour over the contents of her purse. In an instant, I'm by her side, kneeling next to her, rubbing her back. 

"What are you looking for?" I whisper. 

"I need it," she says quietly. "I don't want to forget everything again. I don't want the anxiety. Or the headaches. It was my last pill. James sold the rest. I need them."

Whatever she's looking for isn't there, and her face falls. 

"Maria, you need to tell me what's going on," I murmur, being her lips close to my ear.

I pick her up, and carry her to the bed, placing the blankets over her body. She's crying and hysterical.

 "Can you please tell me what's going on?" I ask her, swiping away her tears with the pad of my thumb. 

"James has them," she chokes out. "I need it." 

"James has what?" I ask softly. 

"T-The pills. I need them," she cries, wrapping her arms around herself. I pull her close to me, smoothing her hair. 

"What pills?" I ask softly, letting her cry into my shirt. 

She murmurs words I can't make out, but I just attempt to soothe her. 

"It's okay Maria. We can find the pills tonight. We can get you what you need as soon as possible. I'm here for you, but you need to tell me what pills you're looking for."

She sniffs loudly. "It's. . . For. . . Anxiety, and headaches, and stuff. . ." Sniff. "And my memory stuff. . ."
Looking at the pained expression on her face makes my heart shatter into a million pieces.

"Do you know what they're called?" I coo in her ear. 

She shakes her head. "It's written on a pill bottle at my apartment. I haven't taken them in weeks. James wouldn't let me."

"We can go to there now if you want," I whisper softly.

She nods her head, and I give her a gentle hug. She flinches away, then mutters an apology. 

"Don't be sorry. C'mon, let's go," I say quietly. 

I get up, giving Maria some privacy, and walk to Peggy's room, quickly tapping my knuckles on the door before swinging it open. Peggy is lying under a mountain of blankets, her computer playing Stranger Things. 

"I'm gonna head out. Maria and I need to pick something up. Call me if you need anything. I think Angie will be home late." 

"Okay," she says giving me a small smile. "Bye!" 

I say goodbye, then walk out to Maria. I grab my keys, and we walk out together. When we get on the elevator, she shakily grabs my hand, and intertwines my fingers with hers. I cast her a warm glance, and a bright smile. 

"Can I kiss you on the cheek?" I ask, not wanting to hurt or scare her off.

"You-You're asking permission?" she questions. 

"Yeah. Is that okay?" 

She looks surprised, but a beautiful smile graces her face. "James never did that. I'd. . . Uh. . . I'd like that a lot."