CHAPTER EIGHT: LOVE WITHOUT MEMORY

The moment he talked about going back, Kate felt her now familiar fears swamp her again. It was like she was in a vacuum and was sucked with anxiety. It was a feeling she was not enjoying at all but she could not help it. It was consuming her.

Because she knew that as soon as she got back at the castle, the killer would try to kill her again. She just knew it. It must be something her subconscious remembered but she knew the danger was not over yet.

On top of all that, Kate did not know what to make of Aidan. His story was romantic and if she had known him for that long, there was no way he was some gold-digger or something. And besides, if he had wanted to kill her, he would have done so by now. They were alone in a convent room with nobody as witness. That was why she had started to relax around him.

 But there was also a possibility that all of it was fake. It was hard for her to start trusting Aidan again and she was still unwilling to share her nightmares with him. And in addition to that, they might just be a fluke and she did not want to feel ridiculous. At least not in front of him.

Whether she trusted him or not, the blatant attraction between them was not something she could deny. It was becoming difficult to handle as he was nothing like she had expected. During the past days, she had conjured an image of a very boring fiancé with monetary expectation from her. And she was totally unprepared to find a sexy stranger who he seemed to genuinely care for her. But it could be a ploy and it was better if she kept her guards up around him.

His sex appeal was undeniable and too flagrant to ignore. His lean body was fit and he looked like a man who loved outdoor tasks. Although he was not huge, his body was toned and Kate felt her insides melt at the sight. Even in her panic mode, she had felt the hard muscles around her and had somehow felt safe in his arms.

By now she now had a pretty good idea who would want her harm. It was her ex fiancé. It had to be him since Aidan had told her how they had broken up the marriage and everybody had found out about their romantic feelings. Edward Bigfoot must have been pretty heart-broken and had gotten back at them on her wedding day.

“How is this Edward?” she asked cautiously.

As she gazed up at him, he frowned at her with something like alarm in his eyes. “What about him? Do you remember something?”

“No,” she said shaking her head vehemently not letting the fact that he was wanting her memory back get on her nerves. “But wouldn’t he be the one trying to stop the wedding? How did he take the break-up?”

Aidan looked pensive and the look of alarm on his face was still present. “He took it quite well and he was pretty sportive about it. I think he finally realized that you never loved each other but was being forced by your over enthusiastic mothers,” he informed her.

“All I remember is that I was running from my own wedding. And if there’s no tension between the two of us, there must be someone else involved, right?”

“Yes of course. I agree with you.”

“Right,” she said. “And as soon as I get back, whatever had happened before might repeat itself. I mean the person might get to me and…” she stopped in her tracks not knowing what more to say and not inculcate her further.

“Is that why you’re so reluctant to go back?” he asked instead of answering her. “You think someone is trying to harm you?”

She winced at his perceptiveness. She had not said anything about her nightmares yet and he was reading her mind like he was a vampire or something. How to tell him about her reluctance to go back home without confiding in him about the real danger she was feeling around her?