CHAPTER FOURTEEN: MOOT POINT

After having blurted out the first thing that came in her mind, Kate watched as extreme happiness filled Aidan’s face. Her Aidan. Her beloved. How the hell could she have forgotten him? Everything was clearer now. Her past, her life, her spoilt wedding.

“Are you okay?’ he asked her still holding her hand and she nodded getting down the armchair. Feeling a bout of dizziness, she had to steady herself for a few seconds before putting on a brave smile. Even with her memory back, she was still feeling that fatigue and ever present headache.

Groggily, she nodded and leant against Aidan for support. She was feeling so tired and mentally drawn. “I’m fine,” she replied unwilling to look at anything or anyone other than Aidan. It seemed like it had been ages since she had last seen him and some part of her had missed him.

Certain things were still indistinct in her mind and she was still unable to bridge the gap between some events. For instance, it was difficult to discern what had happened just after she had run from the murderer. All she remembered was that she had been so scared and thanking God that she had managed to escape.

“Aidan, I…I… don’t remember what happened after I ran from the wedding. I’m so sorry darling to have left you like that.”

“That’s ok. I know you had no choice. You were trying to save your life,” he replied back and then turned to the doctor to ask for some hints about her health.

The doctor was explaining that those were normal symptoms and she was not really paying attention. She was mortified to realize what Aidan must have endured. It was hard to imagine what he must have felt when he had known that his bride was missing. And that too on his own wedding day.

It must have been such an ordeal for him. But like he said she had no choice. It had been the only thing she could have thought of to save her life. Even now when she was trying to think about what happened, the headache was back with a vengeance and she asked the doctor if it was normal that she had this chronic headache again.

She was informed that she had to rest to gain back some energy and must not stress herself. After prescribing some medicines, Dr. Landon asked them to visit him again and Aidan took her back to the car while he fetched the pills to cure her headache.

It was all she wanted for the time being. And true to her needs, as soon as she swallowed some of the pills back home, her eyes and mind shut down to oblivion. She never knew when she fell asleep but when her mind was awake again, she spotted Aidan looking down at her wearing a worried expression on his face.

Frowning, she tried to recollect the last moments and felt bad when she recalled her last thought before she fell asleep. It was remorse which had filled her at the thought of having left her groom behind.  

“Aidan. I’m so sorry for having left without anything,” she immediately said her voice still hoarse from sleep. “All I remember was that I had to run to save my life.”

He nodded but not without Kate noticing the bags under his eyes. “I know Katie. Are you okay now? Are you still feeling the headache?”

She shook her head as she tried to sit up on the bed. “No. I’m fine. I can remember everything now; even what happened after I ran from the murderer. Everything is clearer now.” She knew he wanted to ask her about the murderer and she bit her lips trying to figure out what to say. She hoped that she won’t disappoint him.

“Do you remember who assaulted you?”

“No,” she finally said almost cringing when she saw him grimace. “I was hugging Edward when someone came from behind. He was wearing a mask and a robe which seemed ridiculous to me. I tried to back away from Edward’s embrace but then it all happened so quick that I had no time to react.”