CHAPTER FIFTEEN: HIS PAST MISTAKE

Some things were easier said than done. Aidan could not sleep a wink after Kate left and even if he knew he was getting paranoid, he could not help wondering if he had done a right thing by letting her go alone. Not when there was someone out there thirsty for her blood.

Finally after thirty minutes he gave up on sleep and double checked his mobile. Furious to see no missed calls in his call log and no new messages, he grabbed some money and his car keys from the shelf and headed for the door.

A sense of foreboding overtook him when he dialed Kate’s number over and over but she was not answering. Brooklyn was familiar to him but he had no idea where Kate could be. And he was sure that she was not careless to forget calling him.

“Damn!” he exclaimed in frustration heading towards the nearest shopping mall. But the problem with the Kings Plaza shopping center was that it was always full of people and looking for one particular person was like finding a needle in a haystack.

Trying to keep his rationale, Aidan scanned the area like a zombie but as expected Kate was nowhere to be seen. What if something had happened to her? All over again? He did not think he would be able to take it this time. Trying not to think of the worst, he dialed her phone again and nearly sagged with relief when she picked up.

“Kate? Where the hell are you?” he barked knowing he was sounding sharp but the worry was still gnawing at him and till he did not see her, he would not relax.

“Aidan, baby. I’m at the café shop near the shopping mall. I’m sorry I was…”

“Wait right there! I’ll be with you in one sec,” he ordered already making his way towards the other side of the street. Feeling some life coming back in his body as he spotted her across the street near a coffee shop, he nearly stopped in the middle of the road when he realized she was not alone.

Ryce? What the hell he was doing here? And how had he caught up with them? Aidan galloped towards them and greeted Ryce with a frown.

“How did you find us?” he growled at his friend not very pleased that his cover was not so effective. If Ryce had found them out, it meant that there was a probability that whoever was trying to kill Kate would track them down as easily.

“Hey relax man! When you called me, my iPhone showed me that the call was from Brooklyn. I went to your apartment but it was closed and the guards told me that they haven’t seen you in months. So I took a guess that you were staying at the cottage when I found Kate trying to buy the whole shopping mall.”

Aidan relaxed a little but he was still not so content that Ryce had found them. It meant they were exposed to more risk and more danger than he had envisaged. “And you?” he asked turning to the innocent looking Kate sipping her coffee latte. “Haven’t I told you to call me every thirty minutes? Do you know how scared I was to let you out of my sight?”

“I know,” she replied lifting her palm in surrender. “I was so happy to catch up with Ryce that I forgot to call you,” she replied sheepishly and Aidan gave up consoling himself that Kate was fine. “I was feeding him with the latest update; about how I got my memory back and what actually happened on the wedding day,” she added patting a seat beside her.

She was too cute to resist. His anger evaporating, he joined them for some coffee while Ryce gave him a detailed explanation about how he had tracked down his business rivals but there was absolutely no indication that they had tried to kill him. His best friend even told him that he could not even confirm whether they were aware that he was getting married the idea of his business rival trying to kill Kate to get back at him seemed far-fetched.

Finally, defeated, he had appointed a private detective for the tedious job and he was to be updated every day of any possibility that someone might have something against Aidan or Waldorf Enterprise.