Old Fashions please me... Not so Nice to Change the Rules...

The new king and queen returned from their honeymoon and the council knew it was soon time to put forwards a coronation date. Honestly, Aglaia couldn't care less. Until someone asked her what her regnal name would be.

"What's wrong with my name?" She just blurted out.

"Nothing." Robert stated. He gave the cabinet minister a look. "There is nothing wrong with your name. She is Aglaia. Does it matter if it was Greek? A large percentage of the names used in British society today, like Katherine- and Helena- have Greek origins."

"Yes, but-" the man tried to put a word in edge-wise.

Robert shook his head sternly. "She is Aglaia. That's more than good enough for everyone involved."

The man nodded, bowed and left. Robert and Aglaia looked at each other with those gooey eyes that made Helena feel sick. Ugh.

Eleanor did not share the same feelings. She was smiling. "So..." She spread out her hands. "What are you going to do... On your first day back as queen?"

Helena's face took a sour turn.

"Well, firstly I would like to review the state of the country," Aglaia said calmly. "That isn't limited only to England, but Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. I want to look at our relationship with the Commonwealth countries, and how they're going on in their parts of the world, the standard of living for every class, the standard of education, what they're teaching children in schools, the level of bullying, the various opinions on health care and so forth... I mean, I know," she said hastily, turning to Robert. "That this is a constitutional monarchy. But it doesn't mean that we have to be relegated to a ceremonial role."

Helena gave a pinched smile. "Believe me, that is not the only thing a queen can be relegated to. We may have no other choice."

Aglaia looked up at her. "Or we might." She said. "With all due respect, this is the royal family. The duty of every monarch and their consort, prince and princess is to serve their people in every possible way, if that means giving our lives for them, then it's a way to prove our devotion. Some of us were chosen to do public service. Others were born to do it? What did Julius Caesar say, in Shakespeare's play? 'Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and others have greatness thrust upon them'? I think to say that we really were lucky, but as royals we have a duty to prove ourselves worthy of our exalted positions."

Robert smiled. "I couldn't have said it better myself." he said proudly.

Helena might as well have swallowed vinegar.

"But you are the queen of England now," she said, trying to quell her feelings. "Surely, it is too risky to... Go out like that."

"The proper precautions will be taken," Robert assured her. He turned back, smiling towards his wife. "And with all due respect," Aglaia stated. "It's Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain. Unless Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have all declared their independence, than perhaps it is best if they feel as if they are included. We have a duty," Aglaia declared. "To all our peoples."

Helena looked exceptionally strained.

Liam and Eleanor's eyes were both wide as they held their cakes and macaroons in their hands and gazed at their new sister-in-law.

 "Remember the French revolution," she reminded them. "This... This is necessary."

"I agree," Robert said quietly. "Things are going to change."

No, Helena thought. They already have.

"Wow," Eleanor remarked. "Wow," Liam agreed, helping himself to more mash. "I just didn't know... Didn't think anyone could do it like that," Eleanor marvelled. "That anyone could believe in that. I mean, just like Dad." She looked at Liam. "And she's not sticking to the rules, Liam. She's... Going her own way. But she's doing it... With style." She posed and grinned.