O N E

Penelope sat in catering all by herself, the staff had already finished cleaning up and the Smackdown roster was packing up

Penelope sat in catering all by herself, the staff had already finished cleaning up and the Smackdown roster was packing up. Backlash was over and yet she found it hard to accept. She lost, her one shot at the women's championship slipped through her fingers. After all that trash she talked, nothing felt real. "Shit," She sighed, the three count happened so fast.

Her heart hung low, she wanted to cry but instead she just stared at the carpet taking in each fiber. The lights shut off but she didn't move, didn't even notice so caught up in her own head; reliving her failure. "Hey kid, we gotta go." The man slowly walked up to her, the words not appearing to have been heard. He placed his hand on her shoulder and she pulls away quickly, startled.

"What?" She asked, grabbing at her heart trying to stop it from shooting out of her chest. Penelope knew who he was instantly, he was the WWE champion up until just a few hours ago. He of all people should understand what she was feeling.

"We gotta go, they are wanting to lock the building." He said again, reaching down for her hand. The brunette shakes her head, she wasn't going anywhere, leaving made this night final and she wouldn't allow that to happen. "You can't stay." He sighed running his fingers through his dirty blonde hair,

"No, I can't leave..."She corrected him and looked back down to the carpet. Dean pulled a chair up next to her and sat down, he tapped his foot on the floor, hoping to make the situation a little less awkward.

"Poppy, right?" He asked the young woman, she said nothing but he was pretty sure that was what everyone called her. "It sucks." He shrugged before slouching down in his chair, her big emerald eyes looked back to him.

"What does?" Poppy asked, her eyes searching his scruffy face.

"Losing." He said looking away momentarily, getting sucked up in his own thoughts. "Losing a championship, especially." He specified, an overwhelming sadness suffused the room.

"Yeah." She said plainly, leaning her head against his shoulder. He looked down at the girl confused but didn't pull away, she wrapped her arms around his arm hugging it close to her. "I'm sorry AJ cheated..." She muttered, and it was a simple thing to say but it hit him hard.

"Not your fault." He said in a hoarse voice, Penelope tilted her head back so she could see his face again. It lacked emotion but his voice gave him away; he was sad. Disappointed; probably in himself even though the loss wasn't his fault either. They stared at each other in silence, trying to figure the other out.

"Why haven't we talked before?" Poppy asked breaking the silence, he furrowed his brow as he pondered her question. She's been on the main roster since the brand split, he's seen her hanging around backstage; mostly with Carmella and he's seen a few of her matches but not once did he think to talk to her.

He finally decided to settle on the truth, "I don't know." Penelope said nothing but tilted her head back down still resting on Dean's arm. He kicked himself internally, she wasn't satisfied with his answer, that was his chance to say something sweet but it was missed. He chewed on his lip as he tried to think of a way to cheer her up.

"You're nice." She exhaled, his blue eyes searched the top of her head; hoping she would meet his gaze again. He liked looking at her eyes. "I didn't think you would be." She added in a whisper and he chuckled,

"I can be a bit of an ass from time to time." His breath hitched as he felt her head leaning back, those green emeralds stared back up at him, she smiled and that's when he noticed her dimples.

"Can't we all?" Amusement shined in his blue eyes, he was so calm and confident in himself.

"I don't think you can, you seem too sweet." He countered, her tan cheeks flashed a shade of pink before she looked away. Poppy's heart fluttered in her chest, the silence fell over the room again. "I'm sorry you lost your match." Dean said, using his free arm to rest his hand atop hers.

"Not your fault." She echoed his words, a smile played at her lips though he couldn't see it. He knew an apology wouldn't fix anything but he had hoped it would.

"And yet I feel guilty." He said, resting his head on top of hers. Penelope squeezed in closer, she felt safe with him, almost as though tonight's loss never happened.

"There you are, we really..." The blonde trailed off, taking in the two sitting in front of her snuggled up. "Have to go." Renee finished, worry filling her brown eyes. Dean and Penelope both stand up, pulling apart.

"Ready?" Dean asked Penelope, she gave a weak nod. How could she forget about the beautiful girlfriend? He wanted to ask her if she was sure but the glare Renee was giving gave them no choice.

"Thanks for everything, I'll see you around." Those green eyes were full of sadness but he had to let her go, her hand brushed against his for a brief moment before she smiled at Renee and quickly left. 

***

Hey guys, this was originally posted on another account and was written for myself as a one shot but after a few people asked me to turn it into a story I decided to do that. I'm trying to focus more of my time on this account and I think moving this story here will help. Anyways I hope that you vote and a comment would be nice (: