Chapter 13: Daddy

Candace's POV

It's been about a month since Daddy got out of the hospital.

I went to daddy's room and peeped in the door. "You hungry?"

"No ma'am. You just fed me, I mean literally fed me 20 minutes ago."

"Oh yeah," I laughed. "You thirsty?"

"No ma'am, there's water right here."

"Right.. okay.

"Come here, princess."

I came in the room and sat in the bed. "Sir?"

He grabbed my hand. "You don't have to worry so much. I'm not helpless you know."

"I know, but I don't want to take the risk of something happening again and I'm not there."

"Things happen pumpkin and they're outta our control. You don't need to miss anything, trying to look after this old sack of bones."

"You're not that old daddy."

"I know that, but my body says differently. I'm going back to work today."

"But daddy-"

"But daddy, nothing. What's really going on?"

"Nothing." I said quickly.

"What did he do?"

"Who?"

He gave me the 'really' face.

"It's not him. It's me. Well.. it's complicated."

"That's the thing about you youngins these days. Everything so simple, y'all make 'complicated'."

"You just don't understand."

"Then make me understand. There's nothing I haven't heard before."

"I- nevermind. I'll figure it out." I ran downstairs when the house phone rang. I answered it. "Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Frank Baker's resident?"

"Yes, it is. He can't come to the phone at the moment. Can I take a message?"

"This is Frank's boss. Please tell him we need him to work overtime all week."

"I'm sorry but he won't be able to do more than his regular hours."

"Why?"

"Because he just had a heart attack last month at the place you run. You want him to have another one?"

"No, but-"

"But nothing! Y'all work my daddy like a slave at that factory. You wear him out enough as it is, and now you want him to work overtime? No, he'll pass. His body can't handle it."

"Excuse me, Candace." Daddy appeared. "Let me see that phone."

I handed him the phone. "They tryna make you work overtime all week. Tell that man that you can't.

He held his hand up demanding me to hush. "Hey Mr. Hall, I apologize for my daughter... yeah, she's always worried... yes I can work overtime."

My mouth dropped. "Daddy!"

"See you soon. Bye bye." He put the phone back on the hook. "Candace, do not undermine me. I'm grown and I pay the bills in here. To pay those bills, I gotta work!"