Chapter 19: We Good

Ronny's POV

It's been one hell of a week. But today was the last game day before the playoffs and everything needed to be out of mind. Everything from the passing of Ms. Janice, to the break up, to the make up, to the set up.

"Aye, huddle up." Jerrod yelled as we were in the locker room. Everyone gathered around him. "It's been a pretty good season, huh?" He smiled.

"Hell yeah!" rippled through the group.

"This the last game of the season. It's been a journey with you guys. And we brothers, so don't let the end of basketball season be the end of our brotherhood."

Coach Land was standing by the door. "It's game time boys! There are scouts out in the stands, so all of you leave everything out there on the court."

"If we win, nah... WHEN we win, we going to the playoffs baby!" Jerrod boasted. "So let's go out there kick some ass... What type of day is it?" He yelled.

"Great day to be alive!" we yelled back.

"I said: what type of day is it?"

"Great day to be alive!"

"Coogs, how you feel?"

"Fired up!"

"Say what? How you feel?"

"Fired up!"

"I still can't hear you! Coogs, how you feel?"

"FIRED UP!"

"Let's get it!"

"Lets go!"

****

When the 4th quarter was over, we were tied at 27 points. The clock was reset as we prepared to go into overtime.

Coach called us into a huddle. "This shows all the hard work y'all have been putting in. I didn't tell you guys this in the locker room, but I love each and everyone of you like you're my own son. I don't know about you, but I ain't ready for this to be over!"

"Me neither coach!" Bursted through the circle.

"Shit, this the only reason I come to school." Somebody said.

We all laughed.

"Alright, enough of the chit chat." He went over the game plan. "Let's end the season right; with a win. Jerrod?"

He put his hand in the middle first. We all followed suit. "Coogs on 3. 1...2..."

"COOGS!"

We got back on that court and mopped the floor. The final score was 47- 31. After the sportsmanship moment, I went to see my family.

"How'd I do?"

You was ight." Ryan shrugged. I smacked my lips and ruffled her hair. She shooed my hand away.

"You were fantastic! Flying up and down that court like... one of them star players!" Mama hugged me.

Granny shook her head. "Become more and more like your daddy everyday. Come here boy!" Granny squeezed me tight.