Chapter 13

Christian's POV

Four days. That's how long since Nessa walked out on me for the second time. Why do I keep finding some way to screw things up with us? Just when I think I'm making great strides with her, shit like Crystal coming to my home happens. How did she even find me here? After my screw up with Nessa three years ago, I've avoided the girl like the plague but she just kept showing up.

Now she showed up again and this time I had to face the wrath of Nessa. The last time she walked out ignoring me but this time she put me in my place before she did. How was I ever going to earn her forgiveness? She wasn't a material girl so I couldn't just shower her in jewelry. Actually buying her jewelry for an apology would just make her move out. For good. I didn't even want her to take that business trip. Three years was enough time without her.

I've tried looking for her in the past years. It was rather impossible, even for the PI I hired. Then she just waltzed into a high society ball thrown in her honor. From that moment I knew I wasn't letting her go again. The timing was perfect because I was close to giving up on finding her. I mean three years was a long time and a lot could happen. Like my son.

I feel like kicking myself every time I think of the day she told me she was pregnant. I was a real asshole. She never gave me any reason to doubt her. My mother's words ringing in my ears. My mother made me a fool once but never again. I still can't forgive her for that even though I'm to blame. I was old enough to make my own decision and it was a rather dumb one.

Xander was fast asleep in my bed. After the day he had I'm not surprised that he was passed out at 7 in the evening. Nessa would be here at 9 and the eagerness that was inside me couldn't wait to see her. Four days without her was too much, especially when we left on faulty grounds.

As the time passed my thoughts were still trying to formulate a good way to say sorry. Preferably an idea that wouldn't be offensive. Didn't need the whole gold digger speech again. There was absolutely nothing running through my head that would save my ass. Flowers and hearts weren't really my thing and they seemed cliché.

She'd probably accept them but would silently curse me on how thoughtless I was. The clock read 8:01, only 59 minutes left before I get to see Nessa. Each day I sound more and more like a girl, counting the hours and minutes until her lover comes home.

I've decided to take a page out of Xander's book and sleep. Thinking about Nessa was really frustrating. Seriously what happened to the wonderfully uncomplicated day of college? Back then I never had to sit up for hours thinking how to get her forgiveness. Not that I needed to because our fights never caused us to split or divorce or move out.

Well... Once she told me to, "Go fuck yourself!" in college. She was really pissed but it was amusing. Her cheeks would flame red with anger, her eyebrows arched with anger like in the cartoons and just looking down at her short figure as she sliced me with her colorful words. Mirroring her anger was near impossible. She kicked me out my own room, forcing me to sleep in the lounge. She was a firecracker and she wasn't even a redhead. But even then we would be back top normal the next day.

***
The sound of glass breaking had me on high alert. In mere seconds of gaining consciousness, I made sure Xander was still in bed before going downstairs. There was no way it could be a burglar, this building was too secured. I switched on the lights and the relief that washed over me was visible.

"Sorry. I was feeling for the light switch and accidentally knocked over the vase." Nessa was back and the priceless vase didn't matter. Nessa was much more valuable and she wasn't hurt.

"Don't worry about it. I'm just happy you didn't get hurt. You must be tired. Why don't you retire for the night and I'll clean up the mess." She looked at me with an expression I couldn't quite read. However, I didn't dwell on it as I went to get a broom.

"Thanks, Christian, but I think I'll stay and keep your company. If that's okay with you." That threw me for a loop. Did she want to willingly spend time with me? What happened on that business trip?

"Sure. Take a seat." As I swept up the broken glass and deposit it in the trash, Nessa asked me about the past days with Xander. "Xander was great gave me a run for my money. He was very active, but we had a lot of fun together." She smiled and it put me in a daze.

"I'm happy to hear that." Her laugh that followed was intoxicating and I was hooked. God, I miss the sound.

"Vanessa I'm sorry. The past days I've been trying to come up with the best way to show you that but it's proven to be rather hard. Please tell me. What could I possibly do to make you forgive me? For everything." The playful and happy atmosphere took a very obvious shift. Her body tensed a bit.

"Christian I just got back. Let's just forget it for now." I didn't want to live in the moment knowing that there was still a hatchet present.

"Nessa, please. I don't want you to sweep this under the rug. It's starting to form a mountain. I want it dealt with because it's killing me." I blew out some frustrated air shoving my hands through my hair. "Nessa, I need to know that I still have a shot and I'm not fighting a losing battle. I never meant for her to show up. For peace sake, I'm still trying to figure out how she knew where I live. I love you and only you and I'm begging you to give me one more chance. I promise you that I'll not screw it up." My heart was beating erratically but I need her to know I wasn't going anywhere. She is mine forever.

I need her. It hurts me mentally and physically knowing that she's so close, and yet forbidden to touch. The ache for her pushing me to speak all my heart's contents.

"Christian..." Her voice was so soft and it held a lot of apprehensions.

"Nessa, please. I know you're taken but I just want to know you haven't fallen for him. Tell me I have a chance. I'll do anything you ask of me. Just name it." I'd do whatever she asked if it meant I get to have her. "I've learned what it meant to have something and not know the value until it's gone. Nessa, please put me out of my misery." I was the embodiment of a broken man seeking his way back to redemption. I'd mindlessly walked over to her during my pleads. Successfully trapping her in her chair. The proximity had my head spinning. The need to touch her and kiss her was painful.

Her hand rose to caress my cheek. I relished the sensation her hand gave me. I wanted to feel her so badly but I stopped myself. Not without her permission.

"Christian. Erik and I." The sound of his name associated with her stirred dark feelings inside of me. She noticed the change in my demeanor and held my face with both her hands, so I was staring at her. Her eyes were so expressive, that it was hard to pinpoint just one emotion. "Christian." My name rolling off her tongue was so sexy and I wanted her to say it over and over again. "We broke up. Specifically the night of the family dinner. That's what I did when I left you with Xander. You're not fighting a losing battle."

The smile that spread across my face was filled with unfiltered joy. I had a chance. All this time. "Why?" I was curious.

"The night you kissed me." The memory still fresh in my brain. "My explanation and revelations showed me that whether I like it or not. You're the one with my heart." Glad she knew because she was and will always be mine.

"I love you Nessa and I promise to make you feel special and valued every day."

"That's good to know. Christian just so you know it won't be easy. You still have a long way to go before you have me to yourself." I smiled at her.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I smiled down at her. "Prepare to be at the center of my affections Vanessa. I'll ensure that you're mine to keep forever, in no time." That was a promise I intended on keeping.

"I look forward to it, Mr. Pierre." She got up from her chair. Her body pressed to mine. My breathing was shallow. "I'm quite tired and we're taking Xander to his first day of preschool tomorrow. I'll be in my room. Goodnight." She whispered it near my lips. Just an almost nonexistent space between our lips. The need to kiss her, again and again, growing by the seconds. I need a really cold shower to calm my nerves because the thoughts of what I'd do to her was endless. I was stunned.

I watched as she slipped away from me and walked up the stairs and disappeared into the hallway. My eyes glued to the ceiling as I tried to calm my breathing. This was not going to be easy especially because she was such a tease. The growing need for her landing me a ticket to a cold shower.

Well played Nessa. Well played.