•6•

"You're happy," Lucy observes. Lauren knows that she shouldn't be talking to her ex, but the past was the past. Right? Lucy gives her a heartwarming smile, sipping her Starbucks latte as they sit in the cafe.

"I've met someone," Lauren answers.

"What's she like?" Lauren folds her hands together, thinking of Normani.

"She's gorgeous," Lauren gushes. "She's got a perfect smile, deep brown eyes, beautiful dark chocolate skin, a flower tattoo, and one hell of a body."

"But she's not like you," Lauren states. "She can be sweet when she wants to be, but she's very coldhearted. She's a cheerleader - one who runs just about everything in the school."

"Does she like you the same way you like her?" Lauren shrugs.

"I hope so," She admits.

"I can't believe you let me go as far as kissing your neck," Lucy scoffs.

"I wasn't ready when I was with you," Lauren replies.

"What does she have that I don't?"

"Something," Lauren breathes. "There's something about her that keeps pulling me back. She's an enigma - a mystery. One that I want to figure out."

And it's true. Normani Kordei Hamilton is the very definition of enigma.

But she doesn't know that.

* * *

"Normani?" Lauren asks quietly as she sits down on the older girl's bed. She smooths out the comforter before turning her attention back to the brown girl. Normani sighs.

"What's up Lo?" She asks, slowly undressing in the mirror.

"Why do you like calling me and the other girls your possessions?" Lauren said the last word with complete and utter disgust. Normani picked it up, rolling her eyes slightly. She was now naked.

Lauren eyed the older girl's body. Not in a sexual way, but in a form of appreciation - worship. She's only seventeen years old and she's built like most queens in this world.

"I like having what's mine," Normani says bluntly.

"That makes you sound-"

"Spoiled?" Normani cuts her off. "I know."

"So why?" Lauren presses.

"The world likes to steal things from me," Normani murmurs, rummaging through her doors in order to find clothes. "It tried to steal my mother from me with cancer - twice actually. I've gotten important things stolen from me. Just, things are constantly taken away from me."

"So you feel the need to make everyone know who and what's yours?" Lauren nods, finally understanding.

"Exactly," Normani agrees. She slips into black leggings, a red crop top, and a black jacket. Her hair is covered by a red baseball cap, the girls poking out of it.

"Let's go," Normani says. She's promised to take Lauren out shopping with her.

So Lauren follows her down the steps, outside the house and into the car. She listens to Normani sing along to the song.

Found the truth beneath your lies
And true love never has to hide
I'll trade your broken wings for mine
I've seen your scars and kissed your crime

Her hand found Lauren's, intertwining their fingers. She swayed slightly with the rhythm of the song, smiling. She kissed Lauren's cheek at the red light, still smiling. She squeezed her hand, as they drove.

All night long
Sweet love all night long

All I wanna, ain't no other
We together, I remember
Sweet love all night long

They pull up to the mall, Lauren at Normani's hip. Boys catcall at both of them as they walk, and Normani purposely drops something so she can pick it up. Lauren scoffs, getting a pop from Normani.

"You did that on purpose," Lauren mutters, rubbing her lip.

"Maybe," She says. "Maybe not. Let's go." She grabs Lauren's wrist and pulls her into the mall, dodging all the citizens that walked by. Lauren spots Zayn, Lucy, Veronica, Keana, Liam, and Louis all sitting and talking. She squeals and points at them, tugging on Normani's shirt.

"Is Veronica over there?" Normani asks.

"Yes," Lauren whispers.

"Then no," Normani tried to walk away but Lauren won't let her.

"Please?" Lauren begs. "I just want to say hi and introduce you." Normani sighs.

"Fine," She concedes. "I give you five minutes, tops." But I'm a bottom. Lauren thinks.

"Hi guys!" Lauren squeals, pulling Normani to their table. She gives them all polite smiles except for Veronica, which her smile becomes forced.

"This is Normani," Lauren says, pointing to the older girl. She gives a shy wave and wraps her arm protectively - and possessively - around Lauren's waist. Lucy eyes this momentarily, before smiling.

"Hi Normani," Lucy greets. "I'm Lucy, Lauren's ex. I've heard so much about you, but I never imagined that you'd be this gorgeous in person." Normani smiles at the flattery, but is a bit unearthed at the fact that Lauren wanted her to meet her ex. Was this an act of jealousy? Did she want to use the older girl to make Lucy jealous? It clearly didn't work on Lucy. Normani also realizes that Lauren spoke with her ex. She makes a mental note to confront her about this later.

"It's nice to meet you Lucy," Normani forces. She turns to Keana.

"I'll see you at practice tomorrow?" Normani asks. The girl nods. The two walk off, waving. Lauren can already sense Normani's anxiety and anger when she opens her mouth to speak.

"You spoke to Lucy?" She asks, trying her best to sound polite.

"We just wanted to move on," Lauren answers bluntly. "Y'know?"

"I don't want you talking to your exes," Normani snaps.

"You can't tell me who I can and can't talk to!" Lauren scoffs.

"Yes I can," Normani growls. "So I'd advise for you to listen to me."

"What're you gonna do?" Lauren challenges.

"Things that you cannot handle," Normani threatens. "Neither can your little friends back there." Lauren stays quiet, following the older girl to the store. Lauren's gaze stays at her feet as they wait in line. She lets Normani buy clothes and pick out things for her since she sees no point in arguing.

They leave the mall, Lauren holding three bags and Normani holding three. The car ride is silent, except for the occasional curse from Normani as she glares at idiotic drivers. They really are everywhere. She pulls up to Lauren's house instead, walking her to the door.

"I'll see you tomorrow," She says, turning around and walking back to the car.

And now Lauren's all alone.