Chapter 13

I pulled my hand back from Shalini Maa's when we neared the house.

She looked back at me.

I could only shake my head through tears, "Please..."

"Ruhi, It would not look good," Shalini Maa tried to wipe my tears, "They are your in-laws. They wont be as understanding of you running away like this."

"Please..."

Sanju rushed out of the house. Shailini Maa and she shared a look.

"Please..."

Shalini Maa sighed, "Take her up to her room from the back stairs. I will make some excuse."

Sanju walked over to me, "Lets go."

I looked at her and felt a prick in my heart.

"We have both moved on...," he had yelled.

It hurt. It still hurt!

***

I locked myself in the bathroom the moment I got into my room. Sanju banged on the door, but I didn't care.

I managed to clasp on to the edge of the basis and turn on the taps before sinking to the ground. Sobs that I had held back all this time, wrecked through my body.

The squeeze on my heart forced out gasps of breaths that left my body with each sob.

Pain. Grief. Guilt. Anger. Emotions. Emotions everywhere. Storming through me. Breaking me apart.

I had lost him even before I had him. But the painful reality was that I really had him. I had him, I had just never realised it.

I chuckled through my tears.

Fate had played a sick game with me. Sick game.

I wanted to scream. Yell. Hit the person responsible.

But who was it really.

Sahil? Tarun? Kaira? Sanju? or...Me?

Who do I make pay for this pain?

Who?

***

"Roo," Tarun called out from outside the bathroom.

I was exhausted. I was a mess. When I looked around, so was the bathroom. Broken shampoo bottles, toothpaste and my jewellery.

But I wasn't even half done with my anger.

"Are you okay?" he asked again, "Sanju said you had an upset stomach."

I chuckled through me tears. I had a lot more that was upset than just the stomach.

"Roo," came his worried voice again.

"I will talk to you tomorrow," I did my best to keep my voice steady. I just wanted to be alone.

"Roo? Are you okay in there?" Tarun asked again.

"Yes...just exhausted," I managed to say before another sob threatened to escape. I quickly pushed the flush to drown in.

"I will see you tomorrow. Take care, okay?" he said through the door, "I love you..."

***

When I finally emerged from the bathroom, I saw Shalini Maa, Mom and Sanju there. They looked at me shocked, worried. I didn't care.

Shalini Maa nodded at Sanju to leave us alone as Maa rushed towards me and enveloped me in a hug. I felt like living dead. That hug provided me no warmth now.