Chapter 12: Moonlight

Third Person

"You tease! If you had arrived, why didn't you come to talk to me?" Laura walked up to Keith with a spring in her step. "I've been waiting for you to come!" She said loudly to gain Keith's attention.

"Oh, Laura. It's you." He said not to impressed to see her. Laura snuggled up cozily against him hoping that he would pay more attention to her. Amongst most of the noblewomen, she was taller and slimmer than most of them, and the dress she had on looked more sophisticated.

'Why?' Brienna thought as her heart clenched. She watched them both converse and the murmurs continued but this time it was about Keith and Laura. Brienna slipped out off Keith's arm hoping he would notice but he didn't so she took this chance to leave them be.

After leaving the ballroom, Brienna walked through the French doors onto a balcony and took a deep breath of fresh air to calm her chest a bit and her mind. She closed the elegantly designed doors behind her so the sound was muffled, making the bright party inside seem even more like she was looking at something that came out from a fairy tail book.

Light illuminated the castle from below and beyond it layer a Great Lake, glittering in the dark night sky. In the deep, clear water of the lake, Nobel Michel was perfectly reflected in reverse. What a perfect location to see with someone you hold dear to you. But even so, Brienna was alone capturing it with her eyes.

She leaned on the balcony wall and took a deep breath in and out. The air was so fresh and her mind was finally at peace. Brienna's hair gently swayed to the direction of the wind as she closed her eyes taking in this serene place hoping that no one will ruin it.

She finally opened her eyes and cast them down to the garden below her. Many flowers were already bloomed and she wanted to get a closer look at them so she decided to walk to it without a thought.

But at the meantime, Keith's eyes hunted around the room and one of his fellow celebrities approached him. "Are you perhaps looking for someone?" She asked.

"Not particularly." Even as he said that, though his eyes were moving from one face to the next as he scanned the crowd. Yet he couldn't find Brienna. Laura spoke up in a high voice, trying to catch his attention once more.

"I swear! Prince Keith, what on earth are you staring around like a that for?" She layer one hand possessive lay on his shoulder but he brushed it off like it was nothing.

"You'll have to excuse me." Keith walked away leaving Laura muttering something to herself.

"Prince Keith's! Damn...." Even though she muttered the last word to herself, it didn't matter. The prince hadn't heard a single thing she said.

~*~

Keith had left the ballroom and was walking through the castle's corridors to find a sign of Brienna. "That idiot! I told her to stay by my side, didn't I!" In contrast to the great hustle and bustle of the ballroom, the empty hallway echoed with sound of Keith's heavy footsteps.

"It's more beautiful up close." Brienna looked the the lake right in front of her when she finally reached the bottom. It was silent. Maybe too silent to somewhat scary.

"There you are!" Brienna snapped her head back up and turned her body to face the intruder. There he was, Keith stood angrily as he looked at her. The moonlight illuminated his eyes making them shine a bright emerald which made Brienna's heart beat faster.

"Keith," she stared tantalized by his eyes that was pulling her in. Keith on the other hand wasn't completely angry. Inside he was shaking with nervousness since he was completely alone with Brienna and the moonlight and gorgeous background didn't help him ease his heart but instead made it a lot worse. "I am terribly sorry for leaving without saying anything." Brienna curry once she snapped back into her senses.

The prince held himself up against a piece of rock, trying to catch his breath and then heading a heavy sigh. "Dammit, I thought you'd be kidnapped or something!" A rather bitter smile appeared on Brienna's lips unbidden. The a loud voice cracked upon her so fiercely that her heart skipped a beat. 'How cute.' She couldn't contain her laughter inside so she interrupted into a small chuckle.

"It's not a laughing matter!" His face was so serious that Brienna forgot to even retort like she usually does. "I a m the crown prince of an entire nation! Do you think there aren't those who would happily take my life?!" He was acting so seriously in front of her than her body started to remake a bit. "I," he paused then started off again,"the Ruth is that I've lived my whole life under protection. People that are angry are capable of unimaginable things and there is no guarantee that you won't be harmed because you're my," His eyebrows furrowed," my partner for the evening." Even as eh said those words, he look tour true by the idea.

But finally, Brienna exploded with laughter. She bent forward and clutched her stomach just as tears started it form in her eyes. "Hahaahhaa!" She continued to laugh by how serious he was. A wide natural smile made its way to her lips as she finally calmed down a bit. She wiped her tears away but as she looked up, he was closer than before.

"Keith," All her laughter that was inside of her was gone. They were practically one centimeter apart and any closer would mean that they would kiss especially since his head was bent looking deep into her eyes. Silence descended upon them again and the distant cries of wild birds erupted them along with the small crashing waves.

Brienna didn't know what to do especially since her heart couldn't take anymore of it. She was about to apologize but, she could heady speak around the deafening pending of her heart.

"Do you really think it like a laughing matter?" His pained expression was clearly on his facial feature. "What do you think of me?" Keith cupped her cheek with his big hands that fitted perfectly. Brienna's heart wasn't the only one pounding so hard but as well Keith's. "What do you think of me?" He looked deep into her eyes as she did with his.

'As the person I love.' She wanted to say that but she couldn't. Her voice couldn't seem to come out no matter how hard she tried. 'What happen if,' Keith immediately let go and spoke. "We're going." He said sharply as he turned away form her and started to make his way back.

Brienna was so distracted by her thoughts that's he hadn't processed his words at all, only responded stupidly. "Where?" The word just slipped out of her mouth.

Keith turned around and looked at her with annoyance and spoke again,"We're going back to the castle!" But when she finally reached his side, Keith got a hold of her hand and clasped them.