Chapter Three

"I apologise for my poor time keeping, only my brother had a few bones to pick... he's a real pain in th.. Do come in!" Dumbledore chuckled as he arrived back at his office, Snape, McGonagall and a nervous Ellie entered and sat down.

"Now, young lady we need to get you sorted into a house..." Dumbledore began with a reassuring smile, "Albus, if it is quite alright. I wish to learn more of Miss Fant's circumstances. Strictly as before on the train I seemed to make quite the faux par." Snape requested bluntly. The headmaster nodded, and looked towards Ellie with a broad smile.

"Well then! Ellie, won't you explain your history to Professor Snape and Proffesor McGonagall?" He asked cheerily, Ellie felt her stomach turn as both professors stared at her, as if awaiting a huge speech. 'Well this is awkward' She thought to herself as she began.

"My mother Davina, as you know was a witch and attended Hogwarts. She came from a stressful upbringing and decided to go to the muggle world... to find herself, only temporarily. She met my father, a muggle, and fell in love. She could never return because he would not have been allowed to accompany her. I was taught at a muggle school, in London. At home my mother taught me magic as I had the abuility passed down to me from her. My father, although he didn't understand it, supported my learning. I often asked to attend Hogwarts but my mother said she could not let me as it would not be safe. She never explained why... then he or one of his followers murdered them. I still don't know why."

The room fell silent as Ellie told her story, it was Professor McGonagall who broke the silence. "My dear, there are a lot of questions of yours that remain unanswered. Some, we can answer but others you will hopefully find in time. Today, is not the time for either." The old witch smiled, gently placing her hand on the shoulder of Davina's precious daughter. "I understand... I think?" Ellie sighed, deeply frustrated as she wanted answers so badly.

"I wish I could tell you that your loss will get easier, but I have found in personal experience quite the opposite." Snape said coldly, Ellie was not disheartened though as she saw a gentle pain in his eyes. 'He hasn't found peace.' She thought to herself sadly. 'I hope I do...'

"I think it's time to find out what your house is, don't you?" Dumbledore smiled, a forced cheer in his voice to defuse the tension. "Yes, I'm rather exited to know which house I'm in. I hope to god it's not Slytherin!" Ellie joked, gaining a look of annoyance from Snape.

"Slytherins are a fine house, and I can assure you that bastards will be found in every house, race and religion in this world, Miss Fant." He sneered taking offence. "Oh, I'm sorry I didn't mean to impl..." "I'm sure you didn't. Obviously..." Snape scoffed, returning his attention to Dumbledore who was retrieving the sorting hat.

"Well, this is it. The moment you've been waiting for." He chuckled as he placed the hat on the girls head.

"Oh Merlin, what do we have here..." he hat boomed excitiedly, Dumbledore looked rather worried by the hats tone, but tried his best to conceal it.
"You are rare, child. You are one in a million for sure...." the hat continued,
"I can feel you praying for Ravenclaw, but you do not have it within you.. no!
You are brave, and loyal and devoted. You see the good in people you should not, the bad in those you should admire..." the hat croaked.

"You trust no one, you would happily sell your own liver to succeed with your ambitions, merlin, you would sell the limb of another! and yet, your only ambition is love..."
Ellie looked at Dumbledore with confusion written over her face, he could only look at her with the same surprise.
"You, can only ever be......... "

"A Slytherdor!!!!!!!" The hat screeched, with excitement and worry.