Chapter 4

Winter Raids

She listened to the wind howl as the skins of the lodge and the fire kept her and her grandmother warm. Her grandmother hummed softly as she worked on hides. She ground up herbs for her people to use. She found herself wondering if Nykrions daughter was well fed and happy. He seemed young to have a family already.

"Grandmother have you ever met a person of the others?" she asked.

"When I was young yes we traded with them and it was good. Though it ended badly when food became scarce." she said absently concentrating on her work.

"The legends make them out to be monsters." she added after a break of silence.

"They are different and much stronger than us. Better suited for the cold of this land. They live in small clans and have a lot of loyalty for each other." she said the scraping filling the silence.

"What of their children?" she asked.

"They grow fast. Maturing more quickly than we do. They aren't monsters they are like us but are not us." she intoned. It ended the conversation and left her with much to think about.

*****************************

Nykrion looked to his sister. He glanced at Reina, she was suckling happily on his finger. Kinan could no longer see to his daughter winter was harsh and clan leader Durn had made up his mind that the child was too much trouble. By saying simply "If you can not fine no female of your own to suckle your babe do not burden anyone else "

Kinan motioned him to follow her to his sleeping area in the cave. She sat with him and he waited for her to speak.

"If you can find a female she may produce milk without a child inside her. The herbs you gave me will help as well as Reina. Her cries and suckling on her breast will make milk flow from her." she said quietly.

"It is winter Rurn wont let anyone else come into the clan in such a harsh season." he said despairingly shaking his head fiercely. 

"He will or he will have a very cold set of furs. Find a female let your daughter live. Find happiness in a new mate and mother." she replied just as fiercely. " You are my brother and she is my niece. I wont lose you both to the spirit world." with that she left to groom her mate and child.

He lay back thinking heavily on her words. He needed a female he could trust. He knew of one that would possibly help him. Though she would be angry and harsh she would understand. He looked to Rurn and decided quickly how to get him to agree to go near that place.

'Our food stores need to be replenished until the bad weather breaks. I know of the perfect place.'

He rose to go talk to his leader about the upcoming raid. His daughter nestled in his arms. Rurn was doubtful but curious about his idea. He left him to think on it while he talked with his grandfather.

Zeer sat and kept the little ones enthralled with his tales and trails. Nykrion knew his grandfather wasn't long for this world. Not many lived as long as he had. Not many could survive so long in this harsh world.

"Nykrion what troubles you. I hear you have mentioned a raid to our leader." He simply nodded at his grandfather's words. "I know what you seek at that place and I don't blame you. Though it will be risky for us."

Nykrion looked up sharply at his grandfathers words. Then turned his eyes to his clan. They all gave him strange looks as they had when he was a child.

"Pay no heed to them. They haven't seen a male so determined to see his child live. Many leave it to the females. Ah these old bones. . ." Zeer lay down with his head on his lap. He lay Riemann down near his side and ran his fingers through his grandfathers hair.

"You need to comb your hair old man. They will start saying your losing your mind being so unkempt. What female would want you?" he joked lightly feeling the lite slap of his grandfather's hand in reprimindation.

"What female indeed. . ." he mumbled bidding off to sleep.

Nykrion still groomed the old man and his niece and nephew. It was a way of bonding. A way to keep them all together. As it was a way to show dominance and respect.

Reina cried out for milk and he sighed as his sister took her to her breast. It would be near to the last Reina would be fed. The raid had to happen Lanna had to come with him. Freely or other wise. His daughter depended on it. He trusted no one else.

'She has a strong and good heart. . . '