Characteristics of the Companions of Imam (a.j)

The Holy Prophet (saw) narrated their greatness:

"Blessed are those who shall meet them, blessed is he who loves them and blessed is he who talks about them, as they shall save them from being destroyed.

Allah shall open the doors of heaven for them on the basis of their acceptance of Holy Prophet (saw) and Imams (as).

Their example is like musk, which spreads but does not change and in the skies their example is like that of the moon whose brightness never diminishes."

Holy Prophet (saw) has compared the companions with musk as it has the best of fragrances. This fragrance can emanate from their bodies or from their immaculate ethics and morals.

This implies that their firm actions and unshakable faith will enliven the surroundings with their fragrance.

Here the companions have been compared to the moon. Moon symbolizes light, but it does not independently emit this light, rather it subsists from the light of the sun.

When the moon absorbs the light from the sun, it also becomes bright.

Thus, the companions have been compared with the moon due to their acceptance of Imam Mahdi (a.j) and their brilliance is an extract from the character of Imam (a.j).

Another point to be noted here is that people of the earth consider them to be normal (like themselves) while the people of the heavens consider them to be like the beautiful moon.

"Glad tidings is for those who accept him (a.j) and is among his companions. Woe unto him who disobeys him and his orders and is counted amongst his enemies."

Imam Ali (as) declared,'The companions of Mahdi shall all be young, and none shall be old except a small number equivalent to the kohl applied to the eyes or the salt sprinkled in the food.'

Here by young, it could imply 'intention' because Allah in the Holy Quran has called Prophet Ibrahim (as) on the occasion of destroying the idols as 'Fata' (youth).

They said: "We heard a youth speak of them, who is called Ibrahim." (Surah Al-Anbiya, Verse 60).

At that time, Prophet Ibrahim's (as) age was around 40 years. By this we learn that the one who destroys the idols is considered to be 'a youth'.

When Imam Mahdi (a.j) shall reappear, he shall destroy the idols and will have a youthful appearance.

Imam Ali (as) in another tradition narrates: 'I am seeing them (companions of Imam (a.j) - they are similar in colour, height, face and clothes.

They are united in their hearts and are anxiously trying to search for their lost property.

They are troubled and disturbed because of it. At that moment, a person from the extreme wall of the Holy Kaaba will reappear.

This person will be an exact replica of the Holy Prophet (saw) in his appearance, ethics, mannerisms, beauty and radiance.

These people shall ask him 'Are you Mahdi?' He shall reply, 'Yes I am Mahdi.'

Then they shall all pay allegiance to him.'

The reason for their having the same color and features is probably because their thinking shall be similar, and their pain and sorrow will be shared.

They would have absorbed the faith of Imam Mahdi (a.j) in such a fashion that they would be just like him in his ethics and morals.

━━━━━━•••━━━━━━

Intellects shall attain perfection; Sight and hearing shall become sharp.

One of the characteristics of the companions of Imam Mahdi (a.j) shall be that their intellects shall be at the highest level and their sense of justice and ethics shall be perfect.