Khums (one Fifth)

We read in the Holy Quran:

Know that whatever of a thing you acquire, a fifth of it is for Allah, for the Messenger, his close relatives, orphans, the poor, and the needy travellers, ... (Quran 8:41)

Khums (literally one fifth of gain) goes to six people:

1. Allah (swt).

2. His Messenger (saw).

3. The near relative of the Messenger (AhlulBayt (as).

4. Orphan.

5. needy.

6. the person who has fallen away from his hometown (and has no money to come back to his own place.)

The portion of Allah (swt) goes to His Messenger (saw) to be spent for the path of Allah (swt).

After the Prophet (saw) passed away, and at the time of the first 11 Imams, the first 3 portions used to go to the Imam of AhlulBayt (as) to be spent in the path of Allah (swt).

Now that we have no access to Imam Mahdi (a.j), a religious scholar will receive the first three portions (which will be half of total Khums) who will spend it on behalf of Allah, His Messenger, and his AhlulBayt (as) in the path of Allah (like spending it on the theological schools or any other things that they feel necessary in religious matters).

Also, if the scholar does not have any source of income and all his effort is for the religion, he can only spend a portion of what he receives as Khums for his ordinary expenses which could provide him an average or below average lifestyle.

The scholar does not have to be the descendants of the Prophet (saw) to be entitled to receive Khums.

As for the last three portions, it doesn't go to a scholar.

It can be directly spent on the needy people who should be, of course, the descendants of the Prophet (saw).

Note that it is forbidden to give Zakat (another religious tax which both Shia and Sunnis pay) and charity to the descendants of the Prophet (saw).

Thus, Zakat revenues and charities go to those needy who are not the descendants of the Prophet (saw), while half of the Khums goes to those needy people who are the descendants of the Prophet (saw).

One should also note that during the history of Islam till now, the descendants of the Prophet Muhammad (saw) were being prosecuted
everywhere and were deprived of their rights.

Also, a minority among Muslims continue to pay Khums (i.e., only Shia follow this Sunnah of the Prophet). In other words, only 20% of all Muslims pay Khums which heavily decreases the amount of what the needy descendants of Prophet get from Khums (=20%"1/2"1/5=2%) when it is compared with the amount that needy people who are not the descendants of the Prophet (saw) get through Zakat from all Muslims (2.5%) plus all the charities which could be much more than 2.5%.

Imam Mahdi (a.j) regarding people who unrightfully spend Khums said,

"Whoever unrightfully take over our property and consumes it, without a doubt has consumed fire and will enter Hell fire soon."

He also said, "When it is not right for anyone to unrightfully take over someone else's property, then why is it okay for them to take ours?"

In another narration he said, "May the curse of Allah (swt) and all Angels be upon the one who unrightfully considers our property halal and uses it."