Imam Mahdi (a.j) and Khizr (as)

Imam Sadiq (as) said, "Allah, the Exalted, has ordered three qualities in our Qaim (a.j), which He had ordered to three (previous) apostles.

He ordered his birth like the birth of Musa (as); his disappearance like the disappearance of Isa (as); and his longevity like the longevity of Nuh (as).

Moreover, He made the lifespan of His virtuous Servant Khizr a proof of his lifespan."

Long Life of Hazrat Khizr is a proof for Imam Mahdi (a.j)

Imam Mahdi (a.j) is also such that the Almighty Allah (swt) gave him a long lifespan.

Some traditions inform us that the wisdom behind the prolongation of Khizr's life is that it should be a proof for the longevity of Imam Mahdi (a.j).

Shaykh Sudooq (ar) has mentioned a lengthy tradition in his book from Imam Jafar Sadiq (as),

"And as for the righteous servant, Khizr (as), the Almighty Allah bestowed him with a long lifespan not due to the fact that He had made him a Prophet, or because a book was revealed to him, nor that he brought a new Shariat nullifying the previous one, nor that He made him an Imam and required the people to follow him, nor because his obedience was compulsory.

Rather it was because it was there in the knowledge of Allah, the Blessed and the High, that during occultation the age of Imam Mahdi (a.j) would be prolonged to an extent that people would not believe it, and they would deny a long age.

He prolonged the age of the righteous Servant, Khizr (as) without any justification, except that it be a basis for proving the age of Imam Mahdi (a.j) so that the arguments and proofs of the opponents may be invalidated, and that people may not have any argument against Almighty Allah (swt)."

And also, in the book of Kamaluddin it is narrated from Imam Sadiq (as) that he said,

"Khizr (as) drank from the nectar of life. Thus, he is alive and will not die till the bugle is blown.

Indeed, he comes to us, and he greets us by Salaam. His voice is audible, but he cannot be seen.

And he is present wherever his name is mentioned.

Thus, whomsoever of you mentions him, must say Salaam to him.

Every year he is present in the ceremonies of Hajj. He performs all the rituals, and he camps at Arafat; says Amen to the prayers of believers.

And the Almighty Allah (swt) changes the loneliness of our Imam Mahdi (a.j) during his occultation into his companionship and removes his solitude through him (Khizr)."