Chapter 8

Sarah's pov
I sat in the bed of the truck as Citizen Z was talking.

"Hello people,welcome to the third day of the sixth month of the year 03 A.Z.If your listening to this it means your still alive.So congratulations or condolences.You know,whatever.If your noticing more despair in my voice than usual today,it's because we lost something special.I know,we lose people all the time.Getting your face chewed off by a Z is more common than making it to you next birthday.But this guy,this one's worth mentioning.Charles Garnett,First Sergeant,Army National Guard Reservist was an honest to God,real life,actual good guy.He fought for other people not just for his survival.He did something that's pretty much impossible these days.He gave people hope.Remember hope?Remember thinking that we might actually coming out on the other side of this thing?Yeah,that.Sergeant Charles Garnett died trying to give us a reason to hope.And for that...Sergeant Charles Garnett on behalf of a grateful nation,or whatever the hell we are now,we salute you"he signed off.

This was a hard time for us or more Warren.She loved Garnett,and it was taking a toll on her.These past couple days without him,she hasn't been the same.Something popped in the truck so we had to stop.

I listened as they went in about the car,but Murphy of course had to be an ass about Warren being depressed

"Listen ass hole it's not easy losing someone you love,especially in a time like this.So keep your comments to yourself before I kick you teeth in"I hissed

"Warren let's go.Come on,wake up"I said and she slowly opened her eyes

"We have 2,000 miles of whatever is out there.We need you.We have a duty to the world.I know you you feel,I was in that exact position three years ago.I knew I wouldn't be able to get back to him,so I tried living one day at a time.And it slowly got better,but Warren you can't just check out"I said but she just looked away and I sighed and went back to the rest of the group

"Me and Addy wi ride up ahead and see if we find anything"Mack said as they had found a motorcycle yesterday

"We will"Addy asked and he let out a small 'ya'

"How's the truck" I asked

"Honestly don't really know"Doc said and I sighed

"Found the leak in the radiator hose but were not going anywhere unless we get some water in there"10k said as he emerged from under the truck.

And there goes all our water.And of course Murphy being the selfish bastard he is,had to have one last gulp of the water.

"I'll drive"10k said and that surprised me

"Knock yourself out kid"Doc said

"I ride my motorcycle"I said and 10k helped me get it off the truck.He started the car but damn this kid does not know how to drive.We ended up making a right at a two way.We pulled up at some gun show and parked the car.I got off my sword and put it in the belt it belonged in.

I got off my sword and put it in the belt it belonged in