06 | Character of the Month (LiteraryAesthetics)

**Warning, new readers of PJO do not read, spoilers ahead. Spoilers of HoO ahead as well**

      A new year means new beginnings. We all want a new beginning at some point, but never know where to start. Even fictional characters have that problem, especially when you're Nico di'Angelo. 

     Who also happens to be the chosen Character of the Month. The theme for this month is," new beginnings" and Nico definitely knows a thing or two about new beginnings. 

     In Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Nico di' Angelo is first  introduced at the age of 12 and was rather dependable on his older sister, Bianca. They attended a military school in which they met Percy, Annabeth, and Grover at. In the end Nico and Bianca are planned to be saved by the three best friends but in the end, it was the Hunters of Artemis who did. Thus resulting in Bianca joining the hunters, deeply hurting Nico.

Before Percy and the others leave for the quest, Nico makes him promise he'll protect and watch over Bianca while they're gone. In the end, she dies and Nico overall blames Percy for the death.

Now, fast forward a bit to The Battle of the Labyrinth, Nico continues to feel neglected as Pan chooses not to speak with him. But speaks with the others.

He even tells Percy that only the dead accept him, but really just out of fear.

In the midst of the battle at Camp Half-Blood in The Battle of the Labyrinth the son of Hades used his power to summon undead warriors. His undead army rising from the ground and stopping the dracanae from reaching the cabins of Gods. He is nearly killed with the effort of it but is revived with nectar, the camp returning to normal. Unfortunately, Nico feels like a monster, not fitting in much at Camp Half Blood. He refused to eat lunch with other campers, or join in during sing-a-longs. He very much feels like his father who doesn't belong in Olympus, like he doesn't belong at camp. Resulting in him leaving the camp. 

Later, Nico helped fight against Kronos, convincing his father to help. Thus resulting in him finally being accepted at Camp Half Blood, where he has his undead army build a hades cabin. His fighting was amazing during the Battle of Manhattan and received some fighting approval from the Ares children. Unfortunately, his popularity didn't last long, campers completely avoiding him. Nico then would only show up at Camp Half Blood from time to time. The poor boy had to grow up so fast, it was easy to forget he was only 10 when he was first introduced. Nico then had gone to find Bianca in the underworld only to learn that she chose rebirth. Finding Hazel Levesque in the process, his Roman younger sister. He brings her back to life, learning about Camp Jupiter and immediately bringing her there. Asking Reyna and Jason to take them in, saying he was Roman. Being the first Greek demigod to know about Camp Jupiter, Nico becomes the ambassador of Pluto. 

Nico, at some point, was swallowed into Tartarus. Becoming one of the few demigods who actually survived through there, mainly because he was used as bait for the seven. Thanks Gaea. In the end he helps save both camps, then learning he was accepted. He had promised to leave but Will Solace snaps at him to stop being dense and to stay because people actually cared.

Nico then gets over Percy- yes he is gay - and remains content with Will. Needless to say, Nico di Angelo was first introduced as a young, naive, and dependable young boy. As time progressed, Nico overcame the bumps in the roads, slowly finding himself. Finding a new family- Hazel- and soon realizing he's always had one to begin with. He went from the "feared" son of Hades to one of the Heroes of Olympus. He also overcame his grudge and feeling for Percy, realizing his true feelings. Finally content with his boyfriend, Will Solace. Claiming he cannot eat without Will, otherwise his powers will go wack. Nico found himself, he wrote himself a new beginning. Which is why he is the Character of month for January. A new year, new beginnings. Nico knows that more than anyone else.

~LiteraryAesthetics