09 | Scene of the Month

January Quote of the Month

      This month's theme is New Beginnings. I figured this quote would work hand and hand with the theme. This quote is set at Camp Half-Blood after the Giant War. The Giant War was very costly for all of the demigods, Greek and Roman. All of them deserve a new beginning no matter who they are or were. I hope you like the quote I picked.

      “For a long time,’ Nico said, ‘I had a crush on you. I just wanted you to know.’ Percy looked at Nico. Then at Annabeth, as if to check that he’d heard correctly. Then back at Nico. 

‘You –’ 

‘Yeah,’ Nico said. ‘You’re a great person. But I’m over that. I’m happy for you guys.’ 

‘You … so you mean –’ 

‘Right.’ 

Annabeth’s grey eyes started to sparkle. She gave Nico a sideways smile. 

‘Wait,’ Percy said. ‘So you mean –’ 

‘Right,’ Nico said again. ‘But it’s cool. We’re cool. I mean, I see now … you’re cute, but you’re not my type.’ 

‘I’m not your type … Wait. So –’ 

‘See you around, Percy,’ Nico said.”

           (Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan)

      In this quote Nico di Angelo admits to Percy Jackson about his past feelings for him. Nico plucked up the courage to tell Percy after the Giant War. Nico faced his fears head on and told Percy. Of course Nico did indeed state that he no longer harbored feelings for Percy. As well as saying Percy was not his type. Nico did state that he was happy for Percy Jackson and Annabeth Chase. I suspect Annabeth may have know/ figured it out, because Nico stated through his thoughts that Annabeth's eyes sparkled and she gave him a sideways smile. Overall, he is over Percy Jackson.

       Nico di Angelo is a fourteen-year-old Greek demigod, the son of Hades and Maria di Angelo. He is also the younger brother of the late Bianca di Angelo and the half brother of Hazel Levesque. Nico di Angelo was born sometime in the mid to late 1930's in Venice, Italy, before World War II before the Big Three took the oath to have no more demigod children. Since Nico was born in Italy and his mother was Italian, he can speak fluent Italian. In The House of Hades, Nico mentions that Bianca was the only one who always accepted him for who he was. This hints to that Bianca knew about her brother being homosexual.

Perseus "Percy" Jackson is a seventeen-year-old Greek demigod, the son of Poseidon and Sally Jackson. He is the head counselor of Poseidon's Cabin and a former Praetor of the Twelfth Legion at Camp Jupiter. Percy Jackson was born on August 18, 1993. He was raised by his single mother, Sally Jackson. Strange things often happened around Percy, often resulting in him getting into some kind of trouble or getting kicked out of school. Percy recounted that he was expelled from six schools over the course of six years. Percy Jackson is named after the famed Greek hero Perseus by his mother for good luck, because his namesake was one of the only heroes who had a happy ending and died a peaceful death. Percy Jackson is in a relationship with Annabeth Chase.

      Annabeth Chase is a 17 year old Greek demigod, the daughter of Athena and Frederick Chase, and the cousin of Norse demigod Magnus Chase. She is the head counselor of Athena's cabin and the architect of Olympus.  Annabeth's father, Frederick Chase, met Athena, the goddess of wisdom, battle, and handicrafts, while he was studying History at Harvard. Athena helped him get through his studies; consequently; they fell in love. Shortly after, in 1993, as a gift, Athena sent him Annabeth. She appeared on Frederick's doorstep in a golden cradle carried down from Olympus by Zephyros, the West Wind. She was considered a "brain child" like all other children of Athena, which means that they were born from the thoughts of the goddess. However, her father asked Athena to take Annabeth back to Olympus and raise her there. Athena refused and told him that heroes were supposed to be raised by their mortal parents not their godly ones. He had no choice but to reluctantly take her in and care for her as well as he could. Annabeth Chase is currently in a relationship with Percy Jackson.

      Overall, I believe this quote works well with the theme because Nico is slowly figuring out that it is okay to open up to other people and show some emotion. I hope all of you liked the quote I picked out and the little bit of side information I put. Remember everyone does deserve a second chance no matter who or what they are. I hope everyone had a happy and exciting holiday season.

~LittleStar26