Chapter 3

I'm an atom in a sea of nothing
Looking for another to combine
Maybe we could be the start of something
Be together at the start of time
- Gabrielle Aplin
------------

It was almost midnight when they had reached the Mansion. The three of them walked, Klaus lightly held Caroline's hand, leading her towards the front door. Once inside the house, they found themselves standing in front of a younger version of Elijah. His eyes were dark, so was his hair just as Elijah's and all their other features were almost identical.

A sly smirk grew on his face, as he looked up and down Caroline, making her uncomfortable. She was not the only one feeling a bit uncanny; Klaus too did feel at unease as his own brother looked at her that way - which he knew was not anywhere near good intentions.

"Well, well," his smirk still on his face, "Look what we have here," he leaned against the side of the table, locking his eyes on Caroline. He carelessly held a glass in his hand.

Klaus's glare did not seem to warn him enough, he continued Kol-ing.

"She looks like a tasty little thing, Nik." Kol murmured.

"Say another word and I'll tear out your liver," Klaus placed his palm on Kol's chest, giving him a mild thrust. Klaus expected such manners from Kol, he had never for a second doubted that.

Elijah, a bit concerned about Klaus's change in behavior, squinted at him, as he pushed Kol aside and walked with Caroline. What is Klaus's plan? What has she done to him? What has he done to himself?

"I'm sorry, what... What has happened to my brother?" He pointed at Klaus and asked Elijah, thrown by his behavior. "Perhaps, I've missed something? Elijah?"

Elijah still remembered how Klaus had selfishly treated Tatia, despite her willing to do almost everything for him. She was enamored of him and yet, he could not care less about her feelings toward him. He never acted possessive, nor did he try to protect her from anything, like he is with this girl. Tatia was just a toy. And today, he decided to bring Caroline to their home, a girl who was supposed to be a nothing but a foe.

"Hello, Elijah?" Kol waved his hands in front of Elijah's face, startling him from his reverie.

----------

"Well, brother?" Elijah maintained his calm tone when he questioned his younger brother who was seated across Kol and Rebekah. "Please clarify us why the sudden alteration in our original plan?" He took a seat as well, a glass of Whiskey in his hand.

"You should ask our dear brother Kol." Klaus reacted carelessly.

Kol looked from Klaus to Elijah and then back to Klaus. He narrowed his eyes and raised his arms in defense. "I confess. I did it," He added sarcastically. "Really Nik? Is that your best excuse?"

"Kol had only taken the jet. You had plenty of other options than bringing the girl to our home." Elijah snapped. Kol wiggled his eyebrows at Klaus, mischievously.

He was a little worried, he himself believed that. This was the daughter of Bill Forbes, an assassin in disguise. For all they knew, this girl could be leading Bill Forbes into their home. All the Mikaelsons were well trained and would be able to take down at least a dozen at a time and together they could take down a whole crowd of people but Bill Forbes and his partner Giuseppe Salvatore were not comparable to a whole crowd, so have they heard. They weren't ones to be underestimated. They upheld their reputation for being ruthless and deadly.

"Don't tell me you've grown to like her." Rebekah muttered, gloomily.

They all wondered what was so wrong with Klaus that he was willing to take such a huge risk, endangering their family. He remembered a few years ago, he was against bringing Tatia to their home. He would say people could conspire against them. They had never seen Klaus's real home even though, Tatia was with Klaus for five long years. Everyone knew that Klaus was never in love with her or never even cared about her, not even a little bit.