Eight

As much as I didn't want to at six a.m. on Saturday morning, I forced myself to crawl out of bed after my alarm blasted for the third time. 

Wyatt had called me back after stopping at the gas station for his weird list of purchases with the information that he'd be at our place by eight. I liked having more than enough time to go through my entire morning routine at turtle's pace, so I set an early alarm. By the time I got out of the shower it was almost seven and Kellan was waiting impatiently outside the door.

"How long can it possibly take to rinse off?" He grumbled, sidestepping when I whipped my wet towel in his direction.

"Start shaving three quarters of your body and you'll find out," I sassed, receiving a disgusted look in return. Truth be told, I hadn't shaved at all, but I liked having the excuse.

The too-long hems of my jeans brushed the cold hardwood stairs as I sauntered down them, trying to work one of the many knots out of my dripping hair.

Mama Callie glanced up in surprise when I appeared in the kitchen doorway. She stood in front of the coffee maker just getting ready to pour a customary mug. "You're up early."

I shrugged and shoved all my hair behind one shoulder, grimacing as rivulets of water began streaming down my already damp T-shirt. "Yeah, Wyatt said he'd be here by eight and I told Dustie nine."

"What did you and Wyatt end up planning?" My aunt's smile was curious as she took a sip.

All I could do was shake my head. "Hell if I know. He came up with some brilliant idea that involved gum and a deck of cards."

She nodded, eyebrows furrowed. "Okay?"

"Do you want to know what his first idea was?" I called over my shoulder as I filled a purple ceramic mug to the brim with strong coffee.

"Sure."

"He wanted to know if girls like to build things."

"What?"

"That's what I said!" I yelled, throwing one hand in the air for emphasis. "Apparently he broke his grandma's bookshelf and was gonna try and con Coda into helping him fix it."

With a small giggle, my aunt shook her head. "That boy must not know much about girls."

I put on a half smile and sipped my drink. "I guess not. That's why he asked for my help in the first place. But honestly, I don't know any more than he does! Girls are horrible, terrible mysteries."

Callie gawked at me. "Why do you say that?"

"Because they are. I don't know if I just don't fit in, but all the ones I know are impossible to understand. Like Oakley! I have no idea why she did what she did and how she could possibly feel like she was right to hurt me and Coda, but apparently she disagrees. And then there's Coda, too!"

"Is this about Dustie?" Mama Callie's face was soft, her voice gentle.

"Yeah, it is. I mean, I don't understand why Coda can't just give the girl a chance! She may have walked up and been kind of rude the first day, but I would've done the exact same thing if I hadn't known anybody at Fairview. Finding a crowd you'll get along with is the natural thing to do. Am I wrong?"

My aunt shook her head solemnly. "No, I don't think you're wrong. And actually, I'm really proud of you for being the bigger person and giving Dustie a chance."

"Thanks," I mumbled, staring into the swirling dark liquid in my cup. I hadn't really realized how much the whole conflict between Coda and Dustie had been bothering me until talking to mama Callie. Then again, that happened a lot. My aunt had a quiet, understanding way about her that made me feel comfortable enough to talk about things that bothered me. That was one of the many reasons I'd chosen to live with her and Uncle Mark instead of my parents. Mama Callie understood and didn't force me to talk or give advice when I didn't want to hear it. She got me.