Seventeen

Okay, so I know I already updated today, but...I'M JUST SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS CHAPTER! 

I've also realized that I won't be able to finish this book before I graduate, which is okay, but that gives me another reason to update twice in one day ;) 

Anyway, I hope you enjoy! 

@nonabritt2000, I'm sorry if you cry again. 

I tensed slightly when a rustling noise came from the top of the stairs. It wasn't like we weren't ready--I'd been up since five to make sure things were perfect--but I was a little worried all the same. There was a lot riding on the way this all played out, or at least in my mind.

Torrin and Charlie both grinned when I glanced their way with a worried expression. They didn't have to say a thing to make some of the tension leave my body. Just the fact that they'd both made it to our house on time, in one piece, and in good spirits gave me a good amount of hope.

Charlie craned his neck to glance up the stairs. "Do you think it's her?"

With furrowed brows, I pulled my phone out of standby to check the time. "No," I held it up for them to see, "I don't think so. Coda's not usually up until seven on weekends."

When Kellan sauntered down the hardwood steps in a pair of black sweatpants, I sent the Paxton brothers a look that said I told you so. A face splitting yawn escaped Kellan's lips as he tousled his blond hair. He took a seat next to Torrin on the couch and I wordlessly went to the kitchen to pour him a cup of strong coffee. Torrin and Charlie had been nursing their own cups for nearly two hours and they gladly accepted the refill I offered.

Within fifteen minutes, both my parents and Mark and Callie had appeared in the living room and began sipping cups of coffee. We chatted comfortably, not really bothering to be quiet. Coda was sleeping upstairs in my room because mom and dad had taken over the guest room where she typically lived. I didn't mind sharing, especially since it enabled me to keep a closer eye on her. She'd been really down in the dumps lately and the whole family was concerned.

"Well," my mom began, motioning to the massive Christmas tree with her coffee mug, "do you guys think Santa brought what you asked for?"

A giggle escaped my mouth. "Nope. You guys already did that for me."

"Aw, you put a pickup on your Christmas list? How cute," she cooed, smirking over the rim of her mug. Even though Kellan and I were seventeen years old, my family still kept the tradition of Santa Claus alive, just like Mama Callie and dad's parents had when they were in high school. Uncle Mark and my mom had given up that charade before they were ten years old, but they always seemed happy to play along with their spouses.

When the sound of water rushing down through the pipes met my ears, I froze. The only person not in the room was Coda, so that meant she had to be awake. Soon I'd get to see my entire plan unfold. I sent up a prayer that it would go off without a hitch.

Charlie and Torrin met my eyes, looking just as excited as I felt. When I'd called them to see if they wanted to come and surprise Coda, they had both seemed incredibly relieved. I wondered if that was because they didn't have any gift ideas, either.

"Everybody shh," I hissed, eyes sparkling when footsteps sounded on the landing.

Coda padded down the stairs in her quiet way and peered into the kitchen through sleepy eyes. Seeing nobody there, she crept into the living room, completely unaware of the surprise we had waiting for her.

When our whole smiling family came into view her face reddened. "Uh, good morn--" She stopped cold and blinked a few times when she saw her brothers. "What are you--"