Thirty-Eight

The metal of panels that surrounded the arena felt cold but good against my stomach through the thin green western shirt I had on. It was a pretty cool day for a rodeo but I'd been bound and determined to wear my new rodeo gear I'd been given by my mom. The black felt cowboy hat I wore when it was cooler sat shoved back on my head so I had a better view of the events.

I watched the rider they'd just announced spur her horse and lean down over the gray gelding's neck as he took off in a blur. They successfully made the first barrel, although I noted her turn was a little too wide, which would cost them. Even though I hadn't raced in quite a while I still found myself critiquing every rider on the things I used to be all-too guilty of doing back in the day.

The brunette finished the pattern and a time was hollered over our heads but I didn't pay any attention to it. They'd knocked over the second barrel and I knew she didn't have a chance.

The next competitor trotted into the alley on a familiar red horse with white socks and a thick stripe down his nose. Her orange shirt was identical to the one I wore, though admittedly she pulled it off better than me.

"Ladies and gentlemen, here's miss Coda Paxton from Fairview, Idaho, riding Skipper. Let's see what she's got!"

I lifted myself a little higher on the fence to watch and shoved the hat on my head back just a bit further. There was no way in hell I was going to miss this.

At her signal, little Skipper was gone, halfway around the first barrel before I could even blink. Watching these two together made me realize exactly why my aunt had stuck Coda on her personal omoksee horse. They were just the right size for each other and he was full of piss and vinegar when it came down to it, just like her.

"C'mon, Coda!" It was impossible not to scream as they headed for the second barrel. Dirt clods flew up from Skipper's hooves as they neared me, becoming larger than life in just seconds. By the time they raced back into the alley and her time was recorded I had a cherry red face covered in dirt and I didn't mind a bit. She was too amazing to not cheer for.

Next to me my cousin's black hat landed in the dirt as he leapt onto the fence, still yelling Coda's name. Watching the two of them interact had always cracked me up, but lately I really got a kick out of it. Anyone who didn't know them probably thought he was head over heels in love with her, but I knew that wasn't quite it. Like me, Kellan was just completely jacked to see her succeeding at life and enjoying something instead of shying away from it all in fear.

The two of us meandered around to the end of the arena where she'd gone out and found her cooling off her horse while my mom and aunt watched with pride.

"Whoo, cowgirl!" I hollered, thrilled to see a grin light up Coda's face at the sight of us. "How'd it feel?"

"Pretty damn good," she replied, reaching down to pat Skipper's sweaty neck. The two of them were still breathing pretty hard and I knew they both had a lot of adrenaline pumping. Hell, I'd been in her shoes not too long ago. It wasn't hard for me to remember the surge of glee that washed over you as your horse rocketed past the timers, and that feeling of pride and relief in knowing you'd done your best and ended on a high note.

The first few times I watched her run barrels I almost felt myself missing those feelings, but then I'd go kick some ass in team roping and get an even better sensation; one that came with knowing I was doing something I loved with my family by my side, and in full support.

I watched my mother go over to rub the horse's shoulder as Coda finally brought him to a stop and tell her how much they'd improved since her first rodeo as a barrel racer. That might've made me jealous if this wasn't Coda and I didn't have such an awesome relationship with my mom. Thankfully I'd already received the same kind of congratulations after breaking Kellan and I's personal record in team roping--for the second time this season. Lately it seemed like life couldn't possibly get any better and I hoped with everything in me that it stayed that way.

Dustie appeared just then, holding an open bag of chips in one hand and clutching her phone in the other. She looked as pretty and as full of life as I'd ever seen her, but that had become routine since rodeo season geared back up.

The one year anniversary of her dad's death had passed last May. I could tell he was on her mind a lot by the way she sat even more silent and sullen than usual. That had all changed, however, when she made the decision (with her mom's support, surprisingly) to go get a tattoo in memorial of him. I helped her pick out and went with her to get a cowboy kneeling in front of a cross with the date of his death underneath. I think it must've given her the closure she needed because after getting it she absolutely thrived.

With her mother's blessing, she officially started rodeoing again and turned into a completely different girl. She became far more outgoing and started wearing makeup, teasing Kellan, Coda, Wayne, and I and just being downright fun. I think the change surprised Coda more than she let on, but not me. I knew from the very beginning that Dustie was a girl who just needed some time and a chance, kind of like my best friend. 

Coda had also started to flourish since getting back on a horse, but I think that might have also been due to the fact that my aunt and uncle became her official legal guardians after going through a silent custody battle with her mother. I don't know if Coda knew just how much crap they had to go through to get that done, but I know she sees them as her real parents since her biological ones turned out to be such pieces of shit.

I had a long conversation with my parents about moving back down south or staying with my aunt and uncle to finish school. We all agreed that I was in a lot less trouble and far happier where I was at.

As for Kellan, he was still single and a little bit pouty about it. What he didn't realize was he could have any and every girl in the school, but I think nobody would ever live up to Coda for him.

Wyatt was in the same boat and they drank about it together more often than either of them would admit, but I knew they were both doing okay. Coda just seemed to have that kind of effect on men, and she continued to hate that. After everything she'd been through, a relationship was the last thing she needed or wanted in her life. I only really understood that after she poured her heart out to Dustie and I one night when we were all drunk after a rodeo.

Somehow we made it through high school without killing anybody and now we're getting ready to head off to college. The three of us agreed to all go to the same one down south where we could continued rodeoing together. Dustie was headed back to Oklahoma for school, leaving Wayne and her mom behind. Something in me said that would be for the better and she'd have a chance to really find herself without any pressure. I knew I was going to miss her, but I was happy for her.

"Well well well, it looks like the whole family's here," I grinned, glancing around our smiling circle. "Are you guys ready to put on your big girl boots and start college?"

***

Oh. My. Gosh. Are you guys ready to kill me? 

This is the ending! Without a warning, I just cut the story off. I'm sorry, but I hope you at least like the way it all went down. I was hoping to get at least one more chapter in but this one just kind of flowed out and I'm happy with it. 

*Sigh*

I'm gonna miss these guys. 

I've done a lot of thinking recently about writing another book with the same characters, but I've been working on this same series for years now and I think it's time to move on. That, and I don't have a lot of time at the moment so I'm not sure if I want to commit to that for fear of disappointing y'all!

Anyway, I guess this is goodbye. Thanks so much for all your support! I had the best time writing this story and I hope you enjoyed it, too!