Fourteen

Hey, everybody! Happy Easter! Here's your Sunday update, so enjoy!

***

"Blake!"

I definitely wasn't expecting Coda burst into my room at eight o'clock on a Thursday night. She was clutching her phone in one hand and looking winded when she found me half hidden the the closet, trying to make a pair of fancy chaps stay on a hanger.

Eyebrows raised, I addressed my best friend. "Yeah?"

She sucked in a deep breath and tried to regain her composure by smoothing back some fly-away hairs. "What're we doing this weekend?"

"Nothing that I know of," I shrugged, basically tying the chaps to a plastic hanger in hopes that they wouldn't fall off again, "most of my weekends should be totally free now that all the summer rodeos are over."

She nodded and flashed me a shy smile. "How does dinner and pool sound to you?"

"When?"

"Friday or Saturday. Torrin wants you and me and Kellan and Hunter to come. Maybe Charlie, if he's not busy."

"What about Dustie and Wayne?"

Coda rolled her eyes. "I'm sure they're invited, but she already told me they're busy this weekend."

For the most part, talk of Dustie between the two of us had become more of a joke. Ever since Kellan and I had given her a talking to, she'd been civil, and sometimes even friendly, to the Gibbs siblings.

"Okay, whatever. Where would dinner be?"

"He was thinking the Pub and Grub in Hauser."

I nodded, grinning. In the five months we'd lived in Starton, Kellan and I had become pretty good friends with the owner. In other words, whenever mama Callie wasn't home to cook for us, we went out there to eat. "I'm game."

"Great!" She clapped her hands, looking as excited as I'd ever seen her.

"You said this was Torrin's idea?"

I almost giggled at the enthusiastic nod she sent me. Shooting her an impish grin, I moved to close my closet door. "And you said he didn't like you."

"He didn't used to," she deadpanned, suddenly very serious. "Me and Torrin never got alone 'til this summer."

"That's because he's learned to miss you," I declared, throwing an arm around her thin shoulders. "I would, too, if I was him. You better not ever leave me."

"It doesn't look like I will," she replied quietly. When her eyes locked on her bare feet, I crouched down to meet them.

"What's that supposed to mean?"
Coda shrugged. "I still haven't heard a word from my dad since I left. Or my mom or grandma."

The dejected look on her pretty face pulled at my heartstrings. "I'm sorry, hon. But if it makes you feel any better, we're still thrilled to have you."

A watery smile replaced the sad expression as she met my eyes. "Thanks, Blake."

"Anytime. Now let's go talk Kellan into doing this!"

***

As soon as school let out on Friday, Coda drove the both of us home to shower.

Mama Callie whistled in approval when we clomped down the stairs nearly an hour later, arms linked. "Dang, my girls clean up nice!"