one

"mike?" dustin grabbed mike's shoulder and squeezed it a bit. "you okay?"

mike had been zoning out for the past 10 minutes and didn't realize it. his group of friends looked at him, all with concerned expressions. he gave the group a forced smile and laughed a bit.

"yeah, im alright" he said. "guess i zoned out."

"we can see that." lucas said.

mike rolled his eyes at lucas's remark.

"so, what were we talking about?" he asks.

"music, mostly." dustin says.

mike shrugged. he doesn't listen to music as much as he used to. his parents bought him a walkman for his 15th birthday but he found that it trapped him in his own head, alone with his thoughts, so he stopped using it.

the boys go on talking.

except for will.

will hasn't said one word during the discussion. mike glances in his direction and sees that will seems to be more interested in the grass they're sitting on than the conversation they're having.

he ignores will.

"oh shit what time is it?" dustin asks. "i don't want to be late for dinner again." lucas checks his watch.

"it's almost 6:30."

"shit, yeah. i have to go. sorry guys." dustin gets up and grabs his backpack. "lucas, you coming?"

lucas and dustin had been having dinner together for about a month now. mike had a theory that they were secretly dating but they would never admit it if that was the case.

"yeah. just give me a second." lucas gets up and grabs his backpack. "bye guys!"

lucas catches up with dustin and they walk shoulder to shoulder, sometimes bumping each other. they were practically skipping.

"mike?" will spoke so quietly that mike had to lean towards him in order to hear properly.

"yes?"

"what was she like?"

mike was confused.

"what was who like?"

"eleven. was was eleven like?"