three

the two boys sat on the grass for what felt like hours, just talking about eleven and who she used to be.

mike still wanted to know the truth.

will checked his watch. "it's 10. i'm gonna go." he got up and grabbed his backpack. "you coming?"

"yeah."

mike grabbed his bag and put it on. he hopped onto his bike and pedaled. he was close enough to hear will say something.

but he didn't say anything.

they got to mirkwood and they went their separate ways. mike biked to maple street.

will went towards the forest. he had gone there almost every day since he came back from the upside down. he takes it as a shortcut to his house, fully aware of what happened there 5 years ago.

he got to his front door and brought his bike into the garage. he unlocked the front door and headed inside.

"hi will!" he hears joyce say from the kitchen.

"hi mom." he says in response. he puts his backpack down on the couch and heads into the kitchen.

he makes a sandwich, grabs a cup and fills it with water, and heads back out.

"where are you going?" his mom asks.

"i'm gonna do my homework in the shed."

he puts down the glass of water and opens the door. he quickly goes inside and closes the door behind him, grabbing the glass of water on the way in.

"here. i brought you some food." he puts the food down on a table and looks around the shed. "hello?"

"hi." a voice responds. he hears rustling and then footsteps.

the footsteps come closer.

he can make out the shape of a girl.

eleven.