Chapter 1

[:: 20 years after the Black Mesa Incident ::]

We've lost the war between Humans and the Combine, Nick thought. He was in a train, heading to City 17. The Combine enslaved the earth, divided all our cities that remained intact after their invasion, drained all water sources much lower than normal and we couldn't do anything about what they did.

He looked around, there were three other guys near him, their faces were grim, and they wore the same blue uniforms as him. (The uniforms were provided by the C.P. otherwise known as the Civil Protection. Sometimes, they were just simply called Metrocops.  The C.P. were made out of defeated human soldiers, and volunteers who simply wanted to join for more privileges.) The train stopped, and Nick's stomach lurched.

The three people got out of the train, and Nick followed

The three people got out of the train, and Nick followed. He entered a station where everything looked abandoned, but the giant screen hanging high above the front wall and the blue glowing lights was an exception. On the screen was Wallace Breen, frozen in place. He was the Earth Administrator under the Combine, and was humanity's representative within the Combine. When the group got near the screen, he came to life.

"Welcome. Welcome to City 17." Breen smiled. "You have chosen, or been chosen to relocate to one of our finest remaining urban centers. I thought so much of City 17 that I elected to establish my Administration here, in the citadel so thoughtfully provided by our benefactors. I have been so proud to call City 17 my home. And so, whether you are here to stay, or passing through your parts unknown, Welcome to City 17." Breen moved a little bit closer to the screen, and with a reassuring voice, he said: "It's safer here." Then the screen went pale blue, and he realized that he wasn't with the three other people anymore. He looked around to figure out where to go. There was a chain fence on the right, blocking a side of the station, and an entrance on the left.

Nick walked to the entrance, finding a C.P. and a Citizen arguing beside a pile of suitcases. The C.P. was wearing a white gas mask, and had combat armor. This was only the 6th time Nick had seen a C.P., and they all looked the same. "First warning: move away." said the Metrocop, with a deep, radio-chatter like voice (There was probably a voice changer inside the mask) as he pointed his stun baton at the citizen. The Citizen, on the other hand was holding a suitcase in the pile that was probably his. "But this stuff, i-its all I have left..." said the Citizen. The C.P. pushed the Citizen, and the Citizen fell on the suitcases with a loud crash, as the suitcases tumbled. The Citizen got up as the C.P. said "Get away, MOVE IT!" Nick felt sorry for the Citizen, as the Citizen hurried away. He then found himself being looked at by the C.P.

"Move along." said the Metrocop, with an intimidating voice. Nick quickly walked away and went into the entrance. He passed a hall and saw newspapers pinned on a bulletin board with titles saying: EARTH SURRENDERS. WALLACE BREEN DECLARED AS INTERIM ADMINISTRATOR. SEVEN HOUR WAR ENDS WITH COMBINE VICTORY. The seven hour war was the most terrifying out of all of them. It was a haunting day that day. The Combine just came out of nowhere through portals, and annihilated all military forces around the whole world in just seven hours. Even the best of the military had no chance.

He was now out of the hall, and entered on what used to be a place where people would eat. There were wooden benches and tables on the sides, only about six of them equally. Nick saw some people sitting down on the benches and they looked like they have lost all hope. Nick heard radio chattering. More C.P., Nick thought. The radio chattering came from his right, he turned at that direction and found people on a line. He walked over, and got in line.

There were 7 C.P. spread out at the end of the line, there was a border made out of chain fences and an entrance into the city blocked by a Metrocop. "Apply." The C.P. ordered at the person who was at the front of the line. "ID 89345." Replied the Citizen. The Metrocop moved to the side, allowing entrance. The citizen went through and disappeared into a corner. The C.P. blocked the way again and asked the person in front to apply. The next person said "ID 12343." The C.P. paused for three seconds, and pulled her out of the line, pushing her to the other C.P. "Amputate her."