Chapter 7

"What? why?" Said Nick.

"Common sense. They'd think you're dead, you were snapped in Station 3. The city scanner that snapped you earlier matched you with the one earlier at Station 3. More likely, the City Scanner flew away to report that, along with me being a suspicion because of you." The CP said.

"And go where," Nick exclaimed. "There's nowhere for me to hide."

"Actually, there is. Station 4, nearest to Station 3. You probably don't know where that is, so I'm coming with you. There's no point for me being here anymore, Station 3 is down."

He went briefly silent. 

"Besides, you won't be able to go anywhere without me, just stick to the plan."

Suddenly, a loud mechanical roar erupted all around Nick. It shook his skull, and the ground.

Before he could think of a kind of giant monster, he realized it came from the towering citadel

Before he could think of a kind of giant monster, he realized it came from the towering citadel. Making some sort of alarm. The citadel also seemed to be transforming. Huge plates were moving up and down, expanding, creating a bigger gap in the middle. In it were small rings moving to create space, while the citadel grew taller. 

"I've never seen it like this before." The CP said.

At the Citadel's gap, he recognized seven things coming out of it. Gunships. The gunships flew lower until they were out of sight. A while after, dozens, hundrends, even thousands of small things poured out of the Citadel, flying lower to the city.

"What are those?" Gasped Nick.

"Manhacks. I bet they're going to fill the underground with 'em," Said the CP.

A voice came from the CP's mask, not his voice, but the same robotic voice from the dead CP, presumably from his radio.

"Protection teams, anti-civil evidence confirmed. Codename: Freeman. Priority: pressure, swarm, stabilize."

The CP mumbled something, and then swiftly pretended to be detaining Nick while another CP passed by.

"Unit, Helix dispatch, 647E present. 10 - 0," The other CP said.

"Copy."

A Combine helicopter swooshed past right above them, bending it's tail to make a turn, then disappeared out of view.

"Keep moving," The CP said, shoving him forward as the other CP watched, then moved on.

Their journey to station 4 had continued, it felt like hours, Nick was getting tired.

But that was when he jumped at the screaming of a man.

Nick and the CP, or rather, the undercover resistance, rushed to the railing of a bridge in which the terrible sound had came from. Right under, was a large ditch, in which there was sewer mass that blanketed the ground.

A civilian in a sewer tunnel's dead end gripped the tunnel's bars, a CP behind him. In front of him was a man in an almost-fit orange and metallic gray armor. From a sideways view, the man had thick glasses, a short beard, and shortly cut hair. 

"Gordon Freeman," Breathed the undercover resistance.

The man in the tunnel was shot by the CP behind him, sliding slowly against the bars and dropping to the floor. In the next moment, hell broke loose.

Gordon Freeman aimed the USP match he was holding, and fired at the CPs. Nick watched as Gordon took a few shots to his chest plate, in result, they bounced off. CPs armed with MP7s and USPs rushed to Gordon's location, some attempting to shoot his head. Gordon dashed out of cover and fired at the CPs with nearly perfect accuracy.  He was about to turn a corner into a larger area of the ditch, in which CPs were waiting, one aiming with a mounted AR2.

"WATCH OUT!" Nick yelled, instantly regretting it, he froze as the CP in the ditch looked up at him. Nick dove to the ground, face first as bullets hit the railing. The undercover resistance fired back at the CPs, and ducked out of sight from them.

Gunshots continued to erupt from the ditch, but the firepower wasn't aimed on Nick and the undercover anymore. 

"Not good," the undercover resistance said.

As the gunfire continued, a combine APC pulled over nearby, and started firing what seemed to be rockets from a visible barrel on it's top. It's rockets guided themselves and targeted something on the ditch below them. 

Nick and the undercover looked at the APC warily, as It did not spot them, they had started to move away slowly, when they heard laughing from the opposite direction of the APC. The laugh was brief, and sounded like it had come from a vocoder.

Footsteps, and this time Nick and the undercover turned around.

It was tall, it had a black uniform and vest, with hints of white. It had a hood covering it's face, making the glowing white dot stationed in darkness in it. There was no doubt, it was a Peacekeeper.

"Who are they?" Nick whispered to the undercover; "It's the Military Police. Known as Peacekeepers," replied the undercover, out loud.

"Traitor," the Peacekeeper said, menacingly. It was wielding an AR2, colored black and white. It seemed to be longer than a normal one. Nick guessed it was a sort of a combine heavy machine gun. The Peacekeeper aimed at Nick and the undercover, and they both ran, to the cover of the back of the APC. 

Rapid fire of white energy bullets flashed past them, just before they ducked behind the APC. Unfortunately, the APC started moving forward , and when the APC started to move, Nick watched as the Peacekeeper ran towards the APC, stepped on it, and jumped towards them with it's sword pulled back, like an arrow on a bow ready to release.

Nick tackled the undercover, dodging the Peacekeeper's stab. It's sword was stuck in the ground with it's great force.

"Go, MOVE!" Nick ushered the undercover, grabbed his USP, and whipped it at the Peacekeeper, and fired, missing it's head and hitting it on the vest.

They ran, luckily no CPs were there to spot them. The Peacekeeper seemed to lose his heavy machine gun, but that left him with his sword, and it ran slightly faster, catching up every second.

Nick suddenly realized his location, he suddenly turned left into an alley as the undercover followed. He spotted the board covering the AR2, kicking it over and grabbing the AR2. At the time he aimed his weapon, the Peacekeeper had tackled the undercover, about to stab him.

Nick fired the AR2 at the Peacekeeper, this time directly at it's head without missing. A surge of bullets hit it's torso, knocking back the Peacekeeper. The undercover sprang back up, and aimed his USP the PK.

"He's dead," The undercover said. 

Nick heard footsteps. The undercover turned sideways to see the source of sound.

It was a Peacekeeper, this time mostly white, with hints of black. It turned it's head to look at the dead PK and turned back to them.