Chapter 3

Nick woke up from a loud crash. There was gunfire outside, accompanied by haunting whale-like calls and helicopter noises. Nick quickly jumped out of bed and looked out the window. At the ground, at least 9 citizens were holding MP7 and firing at something, they didn't wear the same blue uniform, they were wearing combat armor, but Nick just called them citizens. Whatever they shot at was firing back at them with bluish bullets. They were gunships from yesterday night. 3 Combine Gunships were firing at them, making groaning sounds as the citizens shoot them. One of the gunships boosted forward and then bent down to fire at 2 citizens. At first, the gunship shot ahead of the citizens, then it killed the two. One of the citizens yelled something, then pointed at a citizen on the roof, who carried something like a rocket launcher. The citizen aimed his rocket launcher at a gunship, and then fired. The gunship flew upwards and faced the missile, firing at it in hopes of the missile not hitting it, but the missile twisted as if it was dodging the gunship fire. The missile reached the chopper blades of the gunship, and the gunship made a deep, muffled scream as it fell towards the ground. The explosion killed 5 citizens. One of the gunships bent towards the citizen with the rocket launcher, and fired, killing him. Bullets seemed ineffective as the two remaining citizens fired. It only seemed to aggravate the gunships. Then, the weirdest thing happened. The first gunship twisted itself, gun barrel aimed at Nick.

And it fired.

Then, Nick woke up.

Morning light seeped through the apartment window. The familiar sound of mechanical humming, engines, and busyness right outside his apartment. It was just a dream, Nick thought. Now that he thought about it, the gunships felt familiar. Like something major in his life had happened because of them. It felt like there was a lost memory in the back of his head, but he can't quite grasp it.

Nick got up, and stretched. He looked at his watch, it said "9 AM". Nick strode to the door, and opened it. He walked out of his apartment room and went downstairs. One person was on the couch, sleeping. 5 others were sitting and having conversations. Nick went straight to the door, and outside the apartment building. The brightness hurt his eyes a bit, until he adapted to it. The City-17 speakers suddenly said: "Attention, citizens. Rations are now available at the Ration Distribution Terminal." a group of citizens once again burst from behind him, all heading back to the train station. "Ow!" said Nick as he was shoved out of the way by one citizen. Nick was at the back of the group now. Beginning to walk along with the group, someone grabbed Nick's shoulder. Nick turned around. A scrawny man about his age, 19, was right behind him.

"Don't." The scrawny man said. "They put something in the water." Mr. Scrawny shuddered and then said: "Now I can't remember.. They'll change it.. You won't hate them... You'll forget.." Nick shoved his arm away, and quickly followed the group of people. What was that about? he thought as he arrived at the distribution terminal. Nick entered a place what looked like it used to be a place where tickets were distributed.

C

C.P were guarding the terminal. Their well equipped and armored suits made them very intimidating, and he thought he saw one of them observing him. Nick lined up with the other citizens. He looked at the end of the line. A metrocop was distributing rations, which seemed to be one can of "Breen's water" and a small pack of food. Nick couldn't quite tell what kind of food it was, since it was covered in some kind of pack. Once again, the C.P were asking citizens to apply. Nick sighed and knew it would take long.

After a few turns, Nick recited his ID and he got his rations. He sat down on one of the benches and looked at his ration. He remembered what the man had said; "They put something in the water.. You won't hate them." Hate what? Nick thought. Why would I hate the Combine? Then, it struck him. Was that even a question? Nick thought. He should hate the Combine, but he doesn't. Is that what the man meant? Had the Combine altered his memory? He never drank Breen's water before, did he? Again, the drink had the power to alter his memory. He swiftly opened the pack of food. He was starving. But all there was in the pack, was a thick, round, hard chalky cracker.

After consuming the rations, Nick headed outside the terminal, into the plaza. He wandered, thinking. It took him a while to realize that a citizen was being beaten nearby, Nick realized he was in an area deserted of citizens. A street with two roads intersecting. Nick had just somehow entered a restricted area without noticing.

"Reporting citizen summoned to voluntary conscription for general service public T94-332." Growled a C.P., facing away from Nick, as he gripped the citizen by the arm. Nick looked at the citizen, and the citizen looked back at him. Mutely panicking, Nick slowly backtracked, and he heard more C.P. heading from behind. Swiftly, Nick hurried forward past the C.P., and hid behind a dumpster. Nick didn't know what to do. He peeked on the side of the dumpster, daring to expose himself to his own death once again. A C.P. was nearby, facing his direction. He was sure it was the C.P. observing him from the terminal. "10-50, control 100% at this location, no sign of 647E.", The C.P. said.

Nick retracted himself like a spring going on reverse when the C.P. glanced at his previous location. Did he see me? Nick thought. He heard a click of a pistol, and the C.P. saying: "10-22, possible Anti-Citizen in the area. Unless it was just my imagination."