Chapter 4

Nick thought of solutions as the C.P. neared the dumpster. I could grab the C.P.'s pistol, but all the others would notice. I could try to surprise attack him, besi-- Nick saw a staccato of bullets zoom from the right. It hit the ground first, then the C.P. . Nick turned to his right, and saw a citizen peeking out from an alley.

"Come on!" The citizen said as he fired a few more shots at a C.P. out of Nick's view. "11-99, officer needs assistance! We have a 647E in here, 10-20; Plaza streets!" Said a metrocop. Nick bolted out of the dumpster and at the citizen. He didn't wanna sit there when the C.P. Reinforcements come. Nick had reached the citizen, when the reinforcements came. "Follow me!" The citizen said. The citizen climbed on a crate and jumped over the wooden fence blocking the rest of the alley. Nick followed, hearing the C.P. Going after them. They entered a building and went went up stairs, then turned a corner to a long hall.

The citizen ran faster, and so did Nick. His legs hurt as if it was tearing apart, but Nick pushed himself. A citizen appeared on the end of the hall, she was holding an MP7 submachine gun. Nick froze and thought he was going to get shot, but nothing happened. "She's with us, come on!" The citizen said, pulling Nick along by his arm. The citizen with the MP7 gave a slight nod at Nick as they passed. The C.P. Were at the back end of the hall, they started firing. The citizen with the MP7 covered fire as they hurried through. They exited the building, standing on a scaffold. A ladder was leading to the roof, they climbed.

They were on a roof top now, the sun giving off steady light and warm heat. Not the right mood. They manuevered through a couple of obstacles, and crossed a wooden plank connecting to another roof. Nick almost fell on that one. He and the citizen both stopped to take a breath. "I think we lost them." Said Nick, but he was completely wrong. A growl and familiar helicopter noises erupted from the gunship that rose from the edge of the roof. "Run."

Dëja vu hit Nick when it aimed at him. They both ran to their right. Bullets hit the ground behind them, getting closer every shot as the gunship fired and maneuvered itself to their right, facing them. "Duck!" The citizen said. Nick and the citizen ducked. He felt bullets zoom past his head. The gunship flew past them and slowed down, realizing Nick and the citizen stopped running. An outburst of bullets hit the gunship. From the right, more citizens with weapons shot at the gunship, distracting it.

Who were these people?

C.P.'s Were right behind them. Nick and the citizen had reached the edge of the roof. "We have to jump." The citizen motioned at a second rooftop, and he backed up. The citizen ran as fast as he could and he jumped, landing and rolling on the second roof. Nick hesitated whether to do the same, any single mistake could lead to his death. Stalling here could lead to my death as well. Nick thought. He backed up, and ran as hard as he could, adrenaline pumping through his veins as the C.P's shot at him, missing. He jumped, time slowed down. In mid air, Nick glanced at his left. Not too far, a small, white, glowing circle which seemed to be in a hood of a hooded figure was in a dark room visible through a window. It watched him. Nick lost sight when his feet touched the granite floor of the second roof, rolling painfully. He got up.

The hooded figure was gone.

Nick followed the citizen into a rooftop entrance, going down two floors and entering a balcony, which was not too far from the ground. They jumped, entering another alley.

Everything was quiet, except for the common noises of City-17, and the faint C.P. Radio chatter: "B.O.L; 647E, Contraband with violations 95, and 94. Stay 10-0."

"Pretty sure we REALLY lost them now." The citizen said. "The name's Aaron Purcell. Hero of the day, am I right, Mr..?"

"Nick. Nick Bergham."

Aaron had fair skin, brown hair and hazel eyes, a bunch of wounds scattered on his face. He looked like a year older than Nick, which was 19.

"Not too bad for recruitment, eh?" Aaron said, grinning.

"Recruitment? Who are you people?"

"We, my friend, are the Resistance."

Aaron turned around, there was a door on the dead end of the alley. "Follow me." He said.
Nick followed Aaron through the door. Inside was a small room that looked like not one person had been in for years. The room had wooden planks on the floor and some leaned on the wall. Old furniture was there, too. Nick watched as Aaron walked in front of a cabinet, and pulled it to the side, revealing a square hole in the wall big enough to fit a crouching person. He crouched and climbed in it, Nick doing the same. "Pull the cabinet so it blocks the hole." Said Aaron. Nick moved closer to the exit and reached for the cabinet side. He pulled it and blocked the hole. Darkness consumed his vision.

After what seemed like one minute crouching in a claustrophobic hole, they had reached the end. Aaron went a ladder, and Nick followed. At the bottom was a hall, and a door at the end. They entered the door.

A room illuminated by dim yellow light was inside. Chairs, and weretables placed around the room. News papers were pinned on the wall, and there were two other doors leading to other rooms. Aaron walked over to the door the right of the entrance, and opened it, motioning Nick to follow. They entered it, and inside was a dozen of chairs neatly lined up. People sat in at least 9 of them, one person standing infront all of them. The room was as if it was a presentation room. They were all arguing over something.

"We'll have to get him back, he's valuable to us." The man at the front said. "We CAN'T, Isaiah!" A woman blurted out at the man, Isaiah. "All of us are risking our lives for him, we can just manually find info by ourselves." She said.

"No, we can't. All of us 'll get killed in the process." Isaiah said.

"Hey, guys!" Aaron said. All the people turned to look, Isaiah glaring. "What did I tell you about recruiting, Aaron?" Isaiah said. "Relax, I trust him." Said Aaron. "Besides, we're in need for more."

"How do you know if we can trust him?" Replied Isaiah, taking a step forward.

"He's new. And by the way, don't you forget that he's in the same stat as all of us. The Combine is our enemy, not everyone else."

Before Isaiah could speak, Aaron pulled Nick back out of the room and shut the door. "Trust me. I know where it always leads to." Aaron said. "Let's show you around the place.".