Thirteen - Coming and going

~ 29th of December ~

Zelda was waiting, sitting in her couch she gazed outside waiting to see that particular blonde man once again. She had got a letter from him. She crumpled the paper in her hand.

"Bonjour, Zelda, my love.
I'm glad to finally be able to write you this letter, it has been tough lately. They wanted me dead for leaving the troops so suddenly. I was nearly killed but the same soldier who came crashing into our house way back in.. June.., Saved my life. He confirmed to the lead of my troop group that I had been recovering from my injuries. I am forever thankful to him. He's a nice man. He has a wife and three children home as well. His name is Ganondorf. Me and him have kept each others company during the darkest times in here. As you may have read from the newspaper.. We.. had been moving towards the Soviet union. Scary. I'm not going though, they are sending some troop groups back to France, and I insisted that I had to go. So, here we are, on our way to Paris! I can't wait to see you and the boys. I'll probably be around in Paris on 29th.
I love you so much.
-Link"

Zelda sighed. It was hard for her to walk, nor to stand up. She moved so slowly. She dragged herself up anyways when she saw, or so she thought, a blonde haired head walking into the house.
Thank the gods she was right, she heard a knock on the door and soon after that a key turning in the keyhole. Somebody stepped in.

"Princess, I'm back." She heard a familiar voice laugh with an ever so lovely tune.

Zelda slowly walked to the livingroom door and saw Link standing in front of her. "Well, well, well.." She smiled gently. "I'm glad you made it.."

Link nodded and smiled, he took his jacket and shoes off and walked over to Zelda. "I missed you so much." Link laughed, he revealed a beautiful white and blue flower from his pocket, he put it to Zelda's hair. "That is a silent Princess." He smiled. "It was nearly as beautiful as you, so I picked it up." Then he noticed how exhausted Zelda was, he should've known that the boys have been driving her crazy. He kept his mouth shut for a moment, waiting for Zelda to say something. But when the only response he got was a sigh and a slight smile, he continued. "The boys are getting so big."

"And I thought they couldn't grow anymore." Zelda laughed. "I was dead wrong."

"I know it's not easy, but it'll be over soon, you're doing great." Link comforted her.

"I mean, I can live with it, I guess. I haven't slept in two days though, they keep on airing their personal who kicks with more power type of show." Zelda continued laughing as she leaned on Link's shoulder. "Six months in, three to go."

"Time flies so fast." Link thought. "Remember last year when we've just met, and neither of us had any idea what the year would bring?" He then smiled.

Zelda nodded. "Oh yes, I'm glad we bumped into each other in the café." She smiled.

"This'll make for a great story if anybody ever happens to ask where we met."

"I bet."

~ 6th of January, 1941 ~

For the past days Link continued to live with Zelda, claiming to his fellow troops that he was recovering from injuries again, he brought food to their house and spent time with Zelda. Until, one day everything changed. Link was gone, possibly getting some supplies Zelda had asked him to bring her, so Zelda was alone at home.

She heard a strong knock from the door. She stood up and slowly made her way to the door and opened it. She saw a huge, red haired man standing in front of him. She had no idea who he was, he looked a bit familiar but she wasn't sure. She didn't say anything, she just looked at him uncertainly.

"That look on your face tells me that you have no recollection of me." The man started. "I'm.. Groose, I worked at the same place as you once, remember? We had a akward meeting."

Now it all came back to Zelda, she remembered clearly. "Ah, Groose, it's.. Nice to see you again." She smiled.

"Same goes for you. I see you've got some character development, since we last met." Groose greeted and looked at Zelda's huge stomach.

Zelda laughed. "It's quite noticeable. Isn't it?"

Groose nodded. "What are you having?" He asked curiously.

Zelda placed her hand to her lower back to maintain her balance. "Twins. Twin boys." She responded.

"Woah. Congrats!" Groose smiled excited. "When are they due?"

"3rd of March." Zelda smiled. "Soon enough." Then Zelda rushed to the kitchen. "Oh how rude of me, would you like coffee? Tea? Anything?" She asked as she got some cups from the cabinets.

"No, no, Miss Zelda." Groose insisted. "I'm not here for that.. I have some.. Serious things I'd like to tell you about."

"Oh?" Zelda stopped rushing with the cups and the plates. "What.. What is it then?"

"So as you may, or may not know.. I serve in the same military group as... Link." He started.

"You.. Serve in Germany's troops? I thought you are French?" Zelda questioned him.

"Half. My mother is French, father is German. But, I've known him since I was young. We lived in the same neighbourhood in Berlin." He continued his lecture.

"I see." Zelda smiled. "So what is it you want to tell me?" She asked.

Groose looked down at his feet and inhaled and exhaled slowly. "I... It hurts me to bring you the news.."

Zelda's face froze as she looked at Groose. "Wh-what has happened?"

"..For our luck.. Nothing.. Yet.." He sighed deeply and swallowed his agony. "But.. I'd.. Like you to come wih me."

"Oh. Yes, of course." Zelda put the cups back to the cabinet and rushed to the hall, she put on her winter shoes and got her jacket from the stand, she couldn't button it up, it was too small, but it wasn't that cold outside today. She had her golden hair on a ponytail away from her face. She stepped out and locked the door after Groose had came out after her.
"Where are we going?" She asked as she leaned on Groose's hand to keep her balance as they walked the stairs down.

"To Link." Groose responded.

~
This book is ranked #395 in general fiction. What. Thank you everyone! Y'all are so great.
Yes I know 'general fiction' its not fanfiction because this story is based on real life events of world war two.