Chapter 11

Newt had stalked out of the building and stepped into the quiet street. He sat down and plucked his trusty bowtruckle from his waistcoat pocket.
"I'm so sorry about all of this Pickett" Newt began, "We shouldn't be here. We should be on our way home".
Pickett layed down on Newts palm and yawned.
"Hehe, you tired huh? I guess it is getting late." Newt sighed to himself before Pickett slowly climbed back into his pocket. He looked up at the stars. Newt didn't know what to do. He couldn't tell if he wanted to stay with Clara or leave her behind. Newt just couldn't figure out one feeling from another. So he did neither of those things, instead he decided to run.
Luckily Clara caught a glimpse of him just as she exited her apartment building.
"Newt! Wait!" She called after him but he kept on running. Panic struck and she pulled on Newts coat and grabbed his suitcase before frantically running after him. Her heart was pounding out of her chest as she ran as fast as her legs could carry her, intent on not letting Newt out of her sight. She had followed him down about four streets before he stopped running and began to walk. Newt looked around him, as if he was checking if anyone could see him. So Clara ducked into an alley way to catch her breath. She peered around the wall and saw Newt walking toward the end of the street. This time she walked casually behind him careful not to be seen. But when Newt met the corner at the end of the street, he turned and bolted round the corner which caused the woman following him to brake into a run once again. He was running through the forest that sits in central park. That was until he disappeared through the trees. Determined to find him, Clara carried on running until she finally came to the lake and saw Newt sat on the bank, gazing up at the moon.
He was so wrapped up in his thoughts that he didn't hear Clara whispering his name.
"Newt? Newt what are you doing?"
She asked sitting by his side and removing her shoes, that were soaking from the melted snow on the streets. Newt still stared at the stars, trying to ignore her presents. But he was failing miserabley. He didn't dare say a word in case his voice came out shakey and tears fell from his eyes. Newt gently turned to look at Clara. She had took his hand in hers and looked across the lake.
"What are you doing" Newt finally asked.
"I'm holding your hand"
"Yes. B-b-but why?"
"Because I can't take in this scenery on my own, I feel like I need to share it with someone. So why not you?"
She said, returning his question and leaving Newt quizzical.
"I also feel like I should share with you the origins of my scars." She said looking at him and smiling slightly. This caught Newts attention as he turned to sit facing her letting go of her hand and putting it in his lap. She did the same and looked down onto her lap.
"So me and my sister, we grew up in the middle of nowhere basically, in a desolate house surrounded by green pastures and wide fields with our parents. Now our parents were Magic, so on our eleventh birthday, I received a letter of acceptance from a Wizarding school in Britain.....and my sister didn't" She said a disappointed look in her eyes.
"As I grew up, I gained an interest in magical creatures" Newts eyes widened at this 'Just like me?!' He thought.
"So, when I was 13, my parents bought me a Hippogriff to keep in one of the empty fields outside the house. But because my sister wasn't supposed to know anything about magic, we had to keep my magic a secret, and Birdie, my Hippogriff."
Newt sat there biting his lip gently, immersed in Clara's tale.
"But one day, my sister ran into Birdie's hiding spot and because she was a stranger to Birdie, so he tried to hurt her. He got up on his hind legs and everything. Luckily I jumped in front of my sister to try and protect her. I succeeded but Birdie came down on me and gave me these scars"
She sweeped away her hair to reveal her infamous scars as Newt looked genuinely concerned. 'I knew I'd seen them before!'
"I-i-im awfully sorry. What happened after? If you don't mind me asking"
"Ivys memories were wiped and Birdie was sold to a guy in New York that also breeds Appaloosa Puffskeins" Clara sighed. Newt had an apologetic expression as he picked up her hands and looked at them before holding them tightly. He stroked them a little with his thumbs as a small tear rolled down her cheek.
"Clara, please don't cry. I hate seeing you upset" Newt said gently pulling her into his warm embrace as Clara's tears dripped onto his shirt making his shoulder wet. He didn't care though. Right now all he cared about was Clara. She left his arms and Newt wiped any he fallen tears. He felt her shiver and wrapped an arm round her shoulder, looking up at the moonlight. Clara rested her head on Newts chest and wrapped her arms around his torso.
"What are you doing" Clara yawned.
"Holding your hand" Newt replied taking her hand in his own.