Part 7- I Don't Like Cold Showers

I pushed my way past the glittering streamers and glow in the dark decorations that were suspended from the ceiling like the branches of a weeping willow, in order to actually make the hallway in front of me visible. This wasn’t anything like the parties I’d heard about or been to before, not that I’d gone to many exactly. Any past experiences I’d had of parties had included way too much alcohol, songs which made my teeth rattle and my ears ache with the pure distaste of them, and simply too many people around who would yell to all of those horrendous songs all at once.

I found the door to the bathroom, and upon hearing some muffled giggles from the inside, I knocked on the door. There were yet more laughing sounds before those were silenced by hushed tones and whispers as the door was unlocked for me.

“Oh, there you are, Jamie,” Lucy giggled as she poked her head round the side of the door. She then stepped aside to let me enter, only to lock the door once more when I was inside. “We were worried that some of the others had cornered you or something…”

Carrie chuckled from her position on the edge of the bath, where she was already dressed in her blue stitch onesie, her curls splaying out from under the hood, making her look incredibly adorable. “If you’re implying that some of the guys had cornered her, or something, the only single guy is Chris, I suppose.”

“We all know that Chris has a thing for Mia, you numpty,” Lucy beamed. Carrie giggled slightly behind her hand.

Mia blushed as she pulled back the shower curtain, stepping out from the small shower stall in a grey onesie (where I presumed she’d changed in private). The onesie had a white stomach with little up arrows on the white in a dark grey. There was a large hood on her shoulders which she hadn’t pulled up yet, but I could make out a big set of felt teeth on the hood along with some rounded ears. There was also a tail hanging from the back of the onesie.

Mia flushed as she went to stand at the sink, tugging the sleeves of her onesie over her hands. “Be quiet, you,” she stuttered, “Chris isn’t interested in me, and besides, I’m with Dan.” She glanced at Lucy from under her hood before looking down at her hands.

Lucy rolled her eyes in a ‘whatever you say’ kind of notion. “I’m just kidding, Mia. You know that.”

Mia shrugged and looked up again, her face now somewhat back to its usual colour tone. “I know. And, hey, you should be being nice to me! It’s my birthday, after all!” She smiled jokingly at us all as she spoke, softening her tone of voice.

“Oh, she’s playing the ‘it’s my birthday’ card!” Carrie oohed, tipping herself forward on the edge of the bath. The other two girls giggled, whilst I bit down on my lips to fend off the smile there.

Lucy shook her head slightly at us all before she went to take Mia’s place in the privacy of the shower with its shower curtain to change there.

I hugged my bag protectively to my chest as I stayed at my place by the door. Carrie was looking down at her feet, where she was painting her toenails a lilac colour to bring out the purples in her onesie. She had her tongue trapped between her front teeth as she surveyed her work with a look of pure concentration. Mia, on the other hand, was leaning into the mirror, widening her eyes and removing the contact lenses there. I watched as she rubbed away some of her makeup, leaving only a little in place, before putting on a pair of black framed glasses.

At that point, Lucy stepped back into view wearing a red plaid onesie. It almost looked like she’d been wrapped up in a bolt of red tartan fabric. She’d removed her beanie and was in the midst of plaiting her hair over her shoulder.

“You can change in the shower if you want some privacy, Jamie,” Carrie informed me as she continued to colour in her nails. “It’s what we all did.”