Part 11- I Don't Like Being Nervous

“Here’s your registration number, your information pamphlet, and if you would just sign here…”

The woman who was signing me in for my audition was overly enthusiastic about this whole thing. She smiled too much, revealing the gap between her front two teeth. That smile made me quite suspicious of her, quite frankly.

Not five minutes ago, Carrie had been sighted as a priority by this woman, and had been immediately removed from the proximity of these commoners who were auditioning for the leading role alongside her. Carrie has cast me an apologetic look as two of her fellow cast members had swooped out from one of the many doors that led off from the waiting room. Carrie had been in this production for less than a month, and she was already having people worship the ground she walked on, much to her dismay.

The whole reason that the main characters for this production of Wicked were being changed was because a new director had come in for this theatre’s production. They had decided that new actors should be given a chance on the stage, hence why I was here. Even so, the woman who’d previously been in line to play Elphaba was now pregnant, and could no longer play her role. Usually an understudy would take over the lost role, but this understudy was on leave from the new director’s old Wicked production in America. Despite the complexity and desperation of it, it did all give me my chance to be Elphaba.

“Here you go, Jamie…?” the woman continued. “I’m sorry, is there an error in your form? I mean, Jamie?”

I frowned as I put my candidate number of 004 around my neck on its tie. “No, it’s Jamie Gail.”

The woman blushed and hid behind her clipboard as I was ushered aside by the person behind me. It irked me that some people, normally people with old fashioned mind sets, didn’t accept the name of Jamie for a girl.

I absent mindedly walked myself to the nearest waiting seat and sat down in it. Three more people were already seated in the area, whilst an elongated queue of people were gathered in front of the registration desk in the foyer, where the overenthusiastic woman was churning people off that had numbers round their necks as if they were being batch produced.

I sighed deeply as I opened up the pamphlet I’d been issued. It talked about the routine of the production, including the names of people who’d already been cast. I could only hope that my own name would be alongside Elphaba’s a few weeks from now. I’d also get to find out who Glinda was going to be by then. I’d be on that stage with the mystery Glinda, her in pink, and me in black and green.

“Hey!” a voice called to me, interrupting my whimsical thoughts about a future on stage.

My nerves jolted, making my whole body jump slightly. I snapped my eyes up to the voice, to where a green haired girl was standing in front of me. Her eyes were a rusted brown, and she wore a knee length black, button up coat which made her look mysterious and business like. However, her face was missing any note of fear or hidden emotion, to which her attire indicated, because she looked thrilled.

“I’m Kat! Are you auditioning to be Elphaba too? I tried to get past the audition stage last time, but I just skimmed the mark…” she rattled on joyfully. “What’s your name?”

I glanced over her, considering what she might be trying to gain from this conversation. Chris had told me that some people would try to distract or worry me, after all. “Yes I’m auditioning for Elphaba, that’s why I’m here,” I said simply, before retrieving The Sugar Queen from my bag and opening it to my bookmark.

Kat made a squeaking sound before she turned on her heel to go and talk to another girl who was sat a few chairs down from me. I wasn’t sure if Kat was doing this intentionally, or if she was just a friendly person, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned, it’s that you can’t trust anybody.