Part 26- I Don't Like Sharing My Food

My encounter with Liss had definitely rattled me. I mean, how could I not be dazed by meeting an old Elphaba girl, let alone that she’d wanted to tutor me? This ‘tutoring’ was due to take place during my lunch hour at work throughout the next few weeks. The simple fact that I was willing to hurriedly eat a sandwich for lunch on those days just to have more practice said something about how happy I was about this. I didn’t know how long Liss wanted to keep this up, seeing as I knew that I’d happily keep the tuition going for quite a while, but the whole thing was just…odd and weird, if very uplifting.

Meeting Liss had left me in high spirits and had made me feel like I should somehow have reason to celebrate getting extra singing, dancing and acting pointers form her. So in walking home in a blundering daze of awkwardly bumping into people on the street and attempting to force myself to concentrate at the zebra crossings, it became apparent that my idea of celebration was to stop in at a fish and chip shop on the way home to get lunch for Chris and me. Food’s obviously where my mind wanders to when it’s empty.

I should celebrate, I thought as I swung the bag of warm food from my fingers, possibly hitting one or two people I walked past with the bag as I went. The day felt beautiful and crisp to me thanks to this revelation, like the sun had decided that today would be the day where it would light up my life in the most cliché way possible. A warm autumn day in the UK would’ve usually lead me to suspect that the world was ending but that thought was eradicated from my mind today. I found myself humming and singing quietly to myself but I couldn’t have cared less. I felt weightless.

“You seem cheery,” Chris called out to me from the lounge when I walked into the flat. “Whose murder plot succeeded today? Was it one of the Elphaba girls?”

“What gave you the idea that I was cheery, let alone that I freaking killed someone?” I asked him whilst I set the food bag down on the ground and started to unbutton my coat. “But you know that those girls would be at the top of my hit list.”

“Because you were sing-inggg!” Chris sang to me, making me squirm. “Something good must have happened…like you went on a killing spree.”

I shook my head as I unlaced my boots and left them in a jumbled heap next to Chris’ trainers and other shoes. There seemed to be a new pair of shoes among Chris’ and these ones didn’t appear to be his style, seeing as they were black Doc Martins, which were very different to Chris’ constantly scruffy shoes. Did that mean that someone else was here or that Chris had bought new shoes? Why were shoes interesting me so much?

“Why are you so adamant in thinking that I’m a murderer?” I said, now cautiously walking towards the lounge just in case somebody else was actually here.

“You have that sort of look about you. It’s a crazed maniac quality.”

A laugh which definitely wasn’t Chris’ regular splutter sounded, making me feel considerably less joyful about my good fortune regarding Liss and Elphaba. There would be no playing video games with Chris this afternoon, I take it?

I peered around the doorframe into the lounge. Chris was seated before his camera at the desk in the far corner, apparently wearing an actual clean shirt on his back and holding a mug of something in his hand. He even looked vaguely alert and awake as he turned to look at me. Well, he looked at my head which was in view around the edge of the door.

I definitely would have said something sarcastic and potentially sassy in reply, but I was stopped short in sighting the other guy who was in the room. This guy was lounging on the sofa with his feet over one arm and a copious amount of pillows behind his back so that he was sitting upright; sitting upright and staring at me with cloudy blue eyes. He had dark wavy hair which fell over one eye in a styled way and his cheekbones were incredibly defined and model-esque. Despite his good looks, he was practically gaping at me, which was very unsettling.