Chapter 7: A Warning

Live in the moment,

Live right.

Live like it's your last day,

Your last sense and sight.

Because when the clouds fade,

And there shines a new light.

The momentary rejoice is impeccable,

As the black turns into white.

No momentary rejoice had pleased him so much like it did now.

Watching her normal, watching her smile, watching her warm, as if there was no aspect that was dicey about her.

As Arnav continued to keenly watch her under broad daylight, he really couldn't come to think of any rational excuse on how the last 18 days had passed.

Last 18 days ever since that fateful night of their very first uncanny encounter. Last 18 days ever since she had confessed to committing a sin. Last 18 days ever since he had felt something, for someone, like he had never felt before. Last 18 days ever since he could never fathom his own judgment, his own rationale, his own understanding.

18 days of smiles, talks, lovemaking, yet a haze.

.

Everything had increased tenfold with each passing day in the last 18 days. The passion, the breathless moments, the care, as well as the tension.

Although he was sure that regardless of what her truth was, he had undeniably started feeling something deeply concrete for her, but it was his intellect that was constantly bugging him to dig deeper and hence, was never in tandem with his heart.

Every day, he had made it a point to browse through the local newspapers to see if there was anything, any piece on Neil Levesque that could jeopardize Khushi's life and safety, but to his relief, there was nothing. Absolutely nothing, other than the day one headline that he had read the morning after meeting her for the first time.

He never really cared to read the whole story that day and the days after, because no matter what, he couldn't consciously come to terms with the fact she was a murderer.

Work kept him busy for more than half of the day, although her thoughts were never really out of his head.

And then of course, there was a massive part of him, which boundlessly made sure that he never really let her reality hinder him from feeling what he was truly feeling.

For her.

For them together.

And now as he stood there silently outside the shopping complex, which was one of the many destinations they had visited today, given that she was getting bored sitting inside the house, all he could do was smile inwardly.

Was this how it actually felt, to fall for someone? For real?

He surprised himself with that thought inside his mind.

Did he really?

Yes, perhaps it was his reality after all, even if hers was something else.

.

.

She smiled constantly as she played with the little kids outside the shopping mall near the amusement park that was almost attached to the shopping area.