Five Years Part 1: Jughead's POV

Jughead fixed the grey beanie which sat atop his head.  He hadn't worn it since high school, which had been about five years.  It only gave him bad and heart wrenching memories from his past.  Now, at his 5 year high school reunion, he decided it was only necessary.

Five years.  He couldn't believe it had been five years since he graduated high school.  Five years since he took his last test, or had homework.  Five years, since him and Betty broke up.  And it still felt like it happened yesterday.  It wasn't a pretty breakup.  Betty was going to college out of state and Jughead wanted to follow her and pursue his writing career, but Betty was not having it.  She though Jughead needed to live his own life, and not spend it following her.  This then led to a big fight, a couple doors slammed, many tears, lost voices over screaming, and what do you know, five years had passed. 

Jughead still had a picture of him and Betty from their junior prom in his wallet.  Sometimes he would just pull it out and admire her beauty.  Her pale pink gown, and beautiful blond hair curled and in an updo.  Her pale skin, making her look like an angel.  But it still hurt.  Five years without the love of your life, not knowing who took your place, or how they are doing, and not being able to talk to them about your problems or help them with theirs, or just to hold them in your arms again.  It's hell on earth.

He took a deep breath and walked through the doors of the venue.  The first thing he saw was Archie in his blue and yellow letterman jacket.  He walked over to his friend and placed a hand on his shoulder.  Archie turned around and grinned, "Jughead!"
He pulled Jughead into a big bear hug and smacked him on the back.
They pulled away with big grins on their faces.
"It's been a long time, buddy!  Still have the beanie I see," Archie rubbed Jughead's head jokingly.  Jughead laughed and fixed his beanie once more, "Still have the jacket I see."
Archie laughed.
"Hey," Jughead began, "You haven't happened to see Betty have you?  I need to talk to her."

Archie shook his head, "Nope.  When was the last time you talked to her?"
Jughead was barely listening, as he was looking around for the blonde angel. 
"The break up."
"Wow," Archie said, "That's five years man."
"And three days four hours 43 minutes and-" Jughead counted on his fingers, "31 seconds."
"But who's counting am I right?" Archie laughed.
Jughead looked at him sternly.
Archie stepped back a few steps, "Oh, you were serious."

Jughead continued to look around, "Of course I'm serious.  I've written her letters each year on the day we broke up starting on the day we broke up.  Of course they haven't gone anywhere.  Until now."
"What, are you giving them to her?"
"If I can find her..."

Then he saw her.  Next to the punch bowl in a navy dress and her hair down, rather than up.  She looked more beautiful than ever.  Five years.  He had waited five years for this moment.