Chapter 12: Aftermath

Draco

Why? Didn't Potter hate him? And even if he didn't, why save his life? Draco replayed the latest event in his head as he sat in the hospital wing, feigning sleep once again. "Don't you have anything to live for?" You. He thought bitterly. Draco had watched Harry for a little while during the beginning of eight year. He had hoped that maybe Potter would start up an argument or ask why Draco wasn't insulting him anymore or even just talk to him. Draco had hoped that Potter would realize something was wrong with him, and he had hoped he would come to his rescue, but he had stopped dreaming and knew it would never happen. What everyone said was true. A pitiful creature like him could never love or be loved. He decided to put those fantasies away and began the path that led to the point of no return. After time, Draco became annoyed when Potter had taken interest in him later on. He felt sick and twisted up inside because it was on until then did he wonder. Draco had hoped for so long, and maybe, things could change? No. No they couldn't. He had decided what he must do, and it would all end up being for the better.

But it never happened.

"Mr. Malfoy? Draco, dear? I know you're awake. Would you like to explain to me now why Mr. Potter, Harry, had stumbled in here with you clinging onto him? He wouldn't tell me and I really need to know since he insists you being here." Madam Pomfery said in a sweet voice

"If you really want to know what happened, ask Potter. He'll tell you how he stopped me from doing the world a favor." The blond said, his voice weak and weary

"Draco, please tell me what happened. I will get Mr. Potter if necessary, but I want you to tell me what's wrong." She said again, taking a seat on a chair she conjured up.

But Draco didn't budge

"I see. I will be back soon with Mr. Potter to tell me what happened."

~•~•~•~•~

"He what?!" Screeched Madam Pomfrey.

"He had tried to off himself..." Potter had said in a quiet voice

"Merlin's beard! I need to go and give him a checkup! Please Harry, could you go get Professor McGonagall? Thank you." She said frantically. Draco knew she was going to be a mad woman when she realized what he had tried to do but it still was a surprise nonetheless.

Madam Pomfrey rushed to Draco and immediately started to fuss over him.

"Oh Draco! How do you feel? I'm so glad Harry had been there at that moment!" Madam Pomfrey started his check up and gasped in horror at what she saw. Her face turned ghostly white when she lifted up the sleeve of the Slytherin's left arm. The bandages that were once on his forearm was gone and all that was left were the ugly slashes, scars, and scabs that littered his forearm. Above all of it, however, was a perfectly intact Dark Mark.

"W-why Draco? Why didn't you tell anyone?" The nurse managed to choke out, her voice barely above a whisper.

"I tried to tell someone. I wanted them to notice me but... I realized if even they didn't notice, then no one would ever, and I wouldn't be missed." The blond said flatly.

The healer started checking him some more and found some of his other wounds on his stomach, they were much more shallow and most likely not scar, but they were still there.

"Draco, don't say that! Of course you would be missed! Your mother, father, friends, they would all miss you!"

"My mother hasn't spoken to me since the battle of hogwarts, father always thought I was a disappointment and he's off in Azkaban, and I have no friends. I have nothing to loose."

Madam Pomfrey was about to comment again when Professor McGonagall has walked through the doors, Potter following closely behind.

"Mr. Potter, please stay over there. We will call you when we're ready." McGonagall said, walking to the healer.

"Poppy, I was told you needed—" but the headmistress was cut off when she had a look at Draco lying on the bed, self inflicted cuts lied in his body. She became as pale as Madam Pomfrey did when inspecting his arm.

"Attemped suicide, Professor." The healer said quietly

"In all my years at Hogwarts, I never saw anything as bad as this before. Mr. Malfoy, Draco, we need to contact your mother."

"I don't want my mother here." The Slytherin said, finality in his voice

"Draco, she has a right to know what—" Professor began, but was interrupted

"No. I am of age and I do not want her coming here. Go ahead and tell her what happened if you like, but no way she is coming here. I don't want her here." Draco bit, his voice venomous

"Draco, please we have to-" Madam Pomfrey began but she too was cut off

"No. I don't want her here."

McGonagall began "Fine then. We will let her know but if you really don't want her here, I guess we'll keep her away"

There was a pause, then Professor continued

"Draco, can you tell us what happened? "

Only silence met her words

"I see... I guess we will have to ask Harry."

Draco crossed his arms and sat up on his bed, not speaking a word. He knew he was being childish but he didn't care.

"Mr. Potter, if we could have a word with you." the headmistress said, looking over her shoulder

The Gryffindork emerged from behind the divider and paled when he glossed his eyes over the Slytherin. Draco felt oddly vulnerable, even more so than when he was being attacked by the other students. He watched as the piercing emerald eyes swept over him, he watched as they lingered at his arm before looking at McGonagall. His eyes look tired Draco thought to himself.

"Mr. Potter, Harry, since Draco here will not tell us anything, it is up to you to explain what happened last night."

"Er- well, I was walking around during our free period you see, and I er- I heard someone up in the astronomy tower and I thought I should check it out and, well. I saw him there, Professor. His wand to his head. I disarmed him and even after that, he tried to jump." The raven haired boy looked back to the blond, but the Slytherin was turned the opposite way.

"I see. Thank you for telling me, Harry. You may have the rest of the day off if you like." The teacher said solemnly. Potter just ducked his head and walked away.

"Draco," Madam Pomfrey began "I have to tend to your wounds and you will have to see a healer twice a week if you wish to not be sent to Saint Mungo's." She said as if she were talking to a toddler.

Draco said nothing. There was nothing to say.

He guys! Its me, Celeste. Sorry it took longer than normal to get this part out, my life has been a bit crazy. If you like the story, please let me know.

thx xoxo

Celeste Lyra