Chapter 23

Elena looked down at her now braceless knee. It was gone. Dr. Thomas had removed it just before she had to report to NBC studios in downtown Los Angeles to do an interview with Matt Lauer on the Today Show.

She was nervous, not because she had to speak on camera to millions of people, but because she didn't quite feel the way she expected to now that it was gone. Grady leaned over after the Production Assistant clipped her microphone on,

"What's wrong?"

Elena kept turning her knee back and forth, bending it and stretching it. She shook her head,

"It doesn't feel right."

"You've had a brace on it for three weeks...it's gonna feel weird to go without it."

Elena gave a stilted nod of her head,

"You're right. I just need to get used to it."

"Testing...testing...can you ladies hear me?" Matt Lauer's voice suddenly came through the TV before his image came up on the TV. He smiled once he saw them, "There ya are. I have a few questions about the lawsuit and the fact that you've now taken our claim to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission."

"Ok." Elena answered.

This was important, more than important. This was everything. Their chance to let the masses know what they were fighting for. And Elena needed to be present for this interview. She slid her hand underneath her thigh and pinched as hard as she could.

"Elena, you don't just wake up one morning and point the finger at US Soccer with the EEOC, this has been simmering for awhile. Tell me now why does it come to a head now?" Matt asked once the introduction stopped playing.

"It's our job to fight for this." Elena said confidently, "The generation of players before us fought and now it's our turn. The disparity between men and women's soccer is too great. We have to let the younger generation know that they matter."

"What is the Association's response when they hear your complaints?"

"In the decade I've been on this team," Grady started, "The message from them has never changed. We continue to be told we should be grateful to have the opportunity to play professional soccer and to get paid for doing it. It's about being paid equally for doing the same job."

"We have a statement from the Association stating that they have yet to see the complaint being that it was just filed this morning but they are disappointed in this action." Matt stated as he read from the teleprompter, "That they have had a commitment to building women's soccer in the United States for the past 30 years."
Elena nodded,

"I would expect nothing less."

"You seem angry." Matt pointed out.

"I am angry. We draw the same crowds. We bring in the same amount of money. Being told we're being irrational for demanding we get paid the same amount is nothing less than a misguided attempt to guilt us into letting this go."

"You are already boycotting games until the Association makes a decision in favor of your demands. How long will that continue?"

"Until we get what is due." Grady answered without skipping a beat.

"The women's team brought in 16 million dollars last year while the men's team brought in a 2 million dollar loss. We deserve the same treatment and the same concessions they do." Kim stated simply.

"While I've got you here, I'd like to change subjects before you go. Elena you are currently injured, what's the prognosis? If the Association rules in your favor before the World Cup starts in a few weeks, will you be able to play?"
The urge to look down at her knee was so great that Elena pinched her thigh even harder. She nodded,