fifty-three → calm down, it's not a bomb

PURE AND TAINTED
CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE
( calm down, it's not a bomb )

"I THINK YOU SHOULD TALK to her." Aline almost rolled her eyes at her girlfriend's statement, shaking her head as she zipped up the front of her suit. Once the two girls were alone, changing behind the van while the other guys changed as well, Wanda had practically forced Aline to explain what exactly the problem was and who this mysterious blonde woman was. She'd been surprised to find out it was none other than Aline's cousin Rome, a woman she's heard plenty about (mostly angry things), and their argument the previous day. She of course understood why Wanda would want her and Rome to speak, but she didn't want to. She was still furious, trying hard not to scream or punch something. "She's your family, and you might not have the chance to do so again."

"Why should I?" Aline nearly spat, pulling her hair out from the inside of her suit. She shook her head wildly, then started to fix her hair. "The woman all but abandoned me, you can't expect me to just get over it." 

Wanda stepped in front of her eyesight, lips pursed. "Ali, I think you and I know it's much deeper than that." She reached around to fix the hood of Aline's suit and once she was done, she settled one of her hands on the side of Aline's neck. Her other hand grabbed hold of Aline's. "I know I don't know her very well but 一"

"Exactly," Aline said and narrowed her eyes, "you don't know her. How can you possibly defend her?"

"You defended Stark when we first met," Wanda retorted, arching one of her thin brows, resulting in Aline to roll her eyes. "Maybe she was scared. I've seen your memories, moy dorogoy. I know what happened. And..." She trailed off, chewing on the inside of her cheek. Wanda had never wanted to tell Aline how she felt when she first saw those memories. Seeing her love dressed in blood and anger, it'd been frightening. "And it scared me." Her voice came out to a whisper.

Aline furrowed her brows, feeling the breath escape past her lips. She always suspected there was a part of Wanda that was scared of her, but she never let it show. The only time she did something even remotely close was when she saw Aline shift for the first time (the sound of bones breaking and breaking was horrifying) or when she saw Aline drain a body with her fangs (Wanda had gone pale). "Why didn't you ever tell me that?"

"How could I?" Wanda said sadly. "Who wants to hear their partner 一 hell, their soulmate was terrified of them at one point or another?" She ducked her head, awkwardly avoiding Aline's gaze. "When I looked in your head and saw those moments when you'd lost Madelaine, I'd never felt such anger before. You hurt me, it was scary, but I understood why." She finally looked up, dropping the hand from Aline's neck to grab her other hand. "But you have to understand that it wasn't a good thing, my love. And Rome tried, she did the best she could. You can't blame her for being scared." Wanda released her hands to gently cup Aline's face, thumb stroking her cheekbone. "I get it, you have every right to be mad, but you need to talk to her at some point. And actually listen this time, yeah?"

The tribrid gulped. Wanda did have a point 一 she couldn't exactly blame Rome for being scared and worried, who wouldn't be in that situation? But that didn't excuse the amount of pain her leaving had put her through for years. She sighed. "What if, what if she won't hear what I have to say? I may or may not have said some... choice words on that rooftop. None of them good."

"If Rome is anything like you told me, then she will. I know it sounds difficult to hear, but she still loves you." Aline released a scoff and Wanda gave her a look, her hold on Aline's face tightening just the slightest. "Hey, she does! Whatever argument you two had will not matter. You're family, you need each other. So please, talk to her; you both look like you need it."